Comments On My 08 Tahoe Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Comments On My 08 Tahoe Hybrid

Hello everyone, my wife and I have been watching this forum for quite a while and have pulled some really useful information from it. I would like to discuss the following issues:
1) Spare Tire Issue. Have you ever been stuck on the side of a busy road, stranded, with a couple of kids and a family? This is my problem with our Tahoe. No spare. I regard the spare as a truly vital piece of safety equipment. I know about the fix a flat and pump, but even if the fix a flat worked, you would still need to get the tire cleaned out and pray that you don't need a replacement tire somewhere out in the middle of nowhere. That is a vacation ruiner.

I know about the aftermarket spare tire kit. I talked to my dealer and another dealer in the area, both are unwilling to do the work because of the electricity running through the car and the fact that it can void the warranty.

Does anyone out there feel the same way? How much extra weight could a spare add to the Tahoe?

2) Mileage/Electric Mode. Okay, we live in Denver, you are either going up or down. We get 18.4 MPG average, that is an average over 1.5 years. I'm thinking this is good for the car since it's rated at 20MPG (4WD), right?
Another question: the engine kicks in at about 5 mph, 10 at best, is this normal? Neither of us have a heavy foot. But going back to the average MPG, assuming this is a good number, this is probably not an issue.

We really like this car but I cannot go on a road trip, even a short one, without thinking about the tire issue.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Comments On My 08 Tahoe Hybrid

Well, I did a roadtrip (5,400) miles and another across CA (longways) with the family. With OnStar, someone can fix the flat for you. This isn't the 1950s anymore, you are never really more than a few miles from a tow truck. With the tires on the Tahoe, it would take something pretty severe to puncture it anyway (unless you start your trip with them worn thin). I would not sweat it. If you are planning something across Mexico or the Yukon Territories, then, YES!, get a spare (or two). There is zero concern about adding the spare and jack for wiring or voltage reasons. It does add weight, but some will be removed with the resonator removal, so net is pretty negligible, plus your exhaust back-pressure will drop, improving engine efficiency slightly.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The "electricity" running through your vehicle is only in the orange colored insulated wires. The DC from battery does go through the floor just behind and below the back of the narrow right side flip up middle row seat.

No where near the spare tire zone. If you want to drop the resonator as many here have done and add a traditional spare, I say go for it.

Since the frames are the same, the mounting slots and holes should all be there. You might try an auto recycler and get all the associated brackets from a wrecked Tahoe, Yukon, or Escalade. The non hybrid in this body style came out a year earlier. This may make used good parts easier to get.

The warranty will not be violated. As for an aftermarket "kit" installation, try a trailer hitch installer. They may do it.

Myself I have made multiple trips from Detroit to the Rockies and Tetons. Done many of those old abandoned gold mine roads Mt. Evans and so on. Wore out the tires but never had a flat. If you are going to do Moab or those really narrow sharp rock roads (fold in the mirror to make this corner) you can cut anyone's sidewall. Fix a falt won't help there.

We have done that too but we don't go alone and we have tow straps, jacks, extra vehicles, and spares in the back cargo area.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks fjungman and Hillbilly. Good advice based on your experiences. Your comments on the spare tire install make sense...maybe I should look for another service provider in my area.

Any comments on my car getting out of electric mode at such an low mph?

Old 09-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

About the low speed kick out of electric, I posted a long version of HV battery power limits and their relationship to HV battery temperature on another thread.

The shortest version is that battery power limits, how far you push the gas pedal, and (real important) how fast you push the pedal to that position all factor into electric driving.

It took me lots of practice especially on bumps to have a very steady light foot.

You can push the gas pedal to about 10% on flat roads from a stop. However, if you make that transition any way but slowly, the system thinks you need more power.

And the engine comes on. Down hills behind large shopping centers allowed me to practice. Then was exerb subdivision cruising.

Now if your battery is slightly hotter than hot tub temp, the power limits will come into play and the sensitive pedal becomes even more sensitive.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:42 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default any dealer CERTIFIED to sell the hybrid....

.....would know that the spare tire is an option and all of the mounting stuff is already built in to the car. as to the "lectricity runnin through the car" go laugh in his face for me and tell him he is a fool! or give me his phone number and ill call him and tell him myself.!!!

Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

Okay Hillbilly, thanks for explaining again, will read your longer version. And jet1...I'm being truthful here, the dealership even has two hybrid techs. And you can probably tell I don't know my way around the car too well, thanks to all of you guys for helping me work through these decisions.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default oh btw....

I thought about that issue when I bought mine, and then I thought about the last time I needed to change a tire on the road....it was 1991 and I picked up a piece of wire in the mountains in my 88 range rover. It finally worked is way into the tire to make it go flat after i got back on pavement.
Ill bet i have driven 250,000 miles since that singular event and I have never needed a spare...