Comparison of Prius hybrid system to Tahoe hybrid system

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Comparison of Prius hybrid system to Tahoe hybrid system

Anyone with experince of both tahoe and Prius hybrids?
I am just wondering if they both have the same system in terms of compoonents and fucntunality. I read that prius uses somethign called ECVT instead of CVT, and has another component called PSD.
Is theTahoe hybrid more advanced hybrid system than to the prius or visa versa?
any feedback is appreciated
Thanks

Old 08-02-2009, 06:48 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default prius is a gimmick to make hollywood feel good...

Yukon/Tahoe is a real world solution to a problem. they cant be compaired

Old 08-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Default Re: prius is a gimmick to make hollywood feel good...

Originally Posted by jet1
Yukon/Tahoe is a real world solution to a problem. they cant be compaired
Whose world though???

Old 08-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Veracitorian Muser
Default Re: Comparison of Prius hybrid system to Tahoe hybrid system

The GM 2-mode system as on the Tahoe is a combination of a conventional transmission and a PSD very much like the Toyota and Ford systems. It has an electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (eCVT) and it also has (unlike the Toyota and Ford hybrids) a conventional automatic transmission. Under high loads, the conventional tranny is used (bypassing the eCVT), and when the hybrid system will work better, the eCVT is switched in (and the conventional tranny is switched out). Had the eCVT been made large enough to handle heavy truck loads, it would lose its lower load efficiencies that allow it to get such good mileage.

-- Alan

Old 08-02-2009, 09:21 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default my world of course!

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Whose world though???
which as we all know is THE world! remember ... when I die the WORLD ceases to exist!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 PM

ALan,
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated very informative.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
The GM 2-mode system as on the Tahoe is a combination of a conventional transmission and a PSD very much like the Toyota and Ford systems. It has an electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (eCVT) and it also has (unlike the Toyota and Ford hybrids) a conventional automatic transmission. Under high loads, the conventional tranny is used (bypassing the eCVT), and when the hybrid system will work better, the eCVT is switched in (and the conventional tranny is switched out). Had the eCVT been made large enough to handle heavy truck loads, it would lose its lower load efficiencies that allow it to get such good mileage.

-- Alan
I think there are significant differences between the Toyo and GM approach. Toyo uses independent electric motors on the wheels- I don't remember if it is front and rear or four motors, but it is a set up that allows power to be delivered more directly to wheels. This made the early Highlanders 4WD when the electric was on at low speeds. GM uses a gas engine, and an electric motor behind that, powering the drive train. Thus, regardless of which system is on, the drive shaft is being turned and then the diff, then the wheels. In the Toyo version, when on electric, power is directly to the wheels increasing torque, and avoiding the drive shaft, diff etc. I think this reduces friction and increases economy.

I have owned both, and this is my recollection of the manuals and what not. But as always, I could be wrong.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 AM

sfarris,
thanks for your feedback.
do you mind sharing your experience with the three vehicle you owned, lexus, toyota, and tahoe, and what are your thoughts and pros/cons of each?
your feedback is much appreciated.
thanks

Old 08-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Enthusiast

Happy to, but my experience is quirky.

Bought the 2006 Toyota Hybrid Highlander new. My expectations were too high as to the mileage, but it was a fine automobile. Typical Toyota- reliable, sensible, not overly flashy. Third row seat was perfect for my kids at the time. New job and new company car meant i didn't keep the HyHi but about six months.

Fast forward 3 years. Changed job, and wanted to get rid of the gas guzzling company SUV. Found a used 06 Lexus Rx400H. Mileage as good as the HyHi, but much more comfortable. No third row seat, sleeker look. Tracked well in winter, handled like a sports car when the roads were dry. I put a tow bar on it, it pulled my trailer and ATVs just fine. Great, trouble free vehicle.

I kept that one about 10 months, 16K miles. Traded it in on an 08 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid, used at the Dem national convention, 5K miles. Love this truck! Big and comfortable seats, much better than the Toyo/Lexus seats. Luxuries are not as plentiful as the Lexus of course. I lockpicked the nav system on both the Lexus and the Chevy, works about the same with a slight edge to the Lexus system.

In car Bluetooth for the Lexus was stock and fantastic. For the Chevy, I used a Costartech work around, with fewer features and quirky performance. Lexus had a power rear door, noticeably missing on the Tahoe. Lexus had one touch down and up windows and moonroof, Chevy lets you open with one touch, but you have to hold the button to roll up or close- probably an American vs. Japanese engineering and safety decision.

Mileage is about 15-20% less in the Chevy than the Toyo/Lexus (20 vs. 24) but the capacity is much greater, as is tow capability.

Not really fair to compare some of the other items, as the Chevy is 2 years newer, but XM radio was standard on the Chevy, would have been a 2000 dollar add on for the Lexus. Remote start is standard on the Tahoe. Ground clearance is roughly the same for both 4WD vehicles, slightly more for the Lexus.

As far as power delivery, the Chevy is smoother and quicker. Also quieter, believe it or not. Road noise is noticeably absent in the Tahoe, typical for a Lexus SUV, with the occasional whir.

Dependability, the win goes to Lexus. I had Zero problems with either the Toyo or the Lexus. The Chevy has had a recall and a few bugs, perhaps of my causing, I don't know. Not a big deal thus far, and since the Tahoe is a new vehicle, it is not unexpected.

I findthe mileage trade off to be well justified, and the Chevy is a fantastic vehicle. Too bad GM didn't introduce it 6 years ago, before Toyota dominated the hybrid market!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 AM

Sfarrris,
Thanks a lot for your reply, very informative and helpful for sure.

Quick Reply: Comparison of Prius hybrid system to Tahoe hybrid system

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands