Conversions for GM hybrid trucks/SUV to plug in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast
Question Conversions for GM hybrid trucks/SUV to plug in?

Dear Readers:

I have a 2010 Sierra 4x4 hybrid, and for the most part I am happy with it. However, living in Colorado, I know the efficiency of the battery will be decreased in the winter time. I am curious though, is there a way I can tell how much charge is left in the battery packs? Also are there any conversion kits to make it a plug in as well?

Thank you for your time,
Eddie

Old 01-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Default Re: Conversions for GM hybrid trucks/SUV to plug in?

that's a good question for aftermarket developers!

Old 01-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Eddie, there are many, or at least there used to be plug in converter shops in California. Their specialty was Prius' Car-B-Ques when they overheated the battery. The battery in your vehicle if forced above its normal State Of Charge ( SOC ) would shorten the life-span for maybe about 20% more EV. Your truck has several computers to monitor the SOC of that battery under the back seat. Their job is to maintain the battery about 5/8 full. The battery manufacturer insists on keeping the SOC in a narrow range for warranty life. Ni-Mh battery chemistry runs hotter at higher SOC. The heat actually does more damage to the chemistry than 0F. If you are driving long enough on cold days to get into Auto-Stop, then your battery should be on the high end of the SOC limits. Various Scanners can read the SOC.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
….. If you are driving long enough on cold days to get into Auto-Stop, then your battery should be on the high end of the SOC limits. Various Scanners can read the SOC.
I'm getting auto-stop when stopped on a light here in MI currently at 10F and lower. is that okay?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 AM

-15 this morning, 1 hour drive to work. No Auto-Stop. Eventually once the HV battery warms up enough it will.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
-15 this morning, 1 hour drive to work. No Auto-Stop. Eventually once the HV battery warms up enough it will.
I know it's too cold even inside my covered garage my water bottle is frozen. it's a good thing I filled up my tank last night.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:56 PM

My wife and kids are spoiled. My garage is in the basement. earth sheltered. My vehicle is outside. That is where that gasoline wasting Remote Start comes in handy.

But back to batteries and chemistry. They dim out in this kind of cold. Luckily the 2-Mode takes more than 12 hours for the battery to reach the outside the cabin temperature. I did get Auto-Stop on my drive home tonight. It took about 45 minutes of driving. 8F.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

The scan guage II can give you a ton of data on the SOC cell temps and other info. I used my alot learning how the truck works, but now I just keep in the glove box for when something odd happens so I can get the codes (once in 12k miles). Make sure you get the newest firmware you can.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

On the conversion issue - my understanding is that it is not possible on the two mode system. The GM software will go into lockdown if there is power added to the system outside the 2 mode system. It has some sort of tracking system that other vehicles do not have. I spoke to a conversion outfit at one point who were converting a Prius for my employer and they said the GM software just locks them out.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:14 PM

So if you watch the SOC and temperature when you operate it, you probably have seen the SOC range that the system try's to maintain.