Engine Oil Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 10:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Engine Oil Cooler?

Considering options for increasing engine cooling capacity in my 2011 Yukon Hybrid. When towing on warm days (>80°F), coolant temperature rarely goes lower than 220F (this happens whether I’m towing 3000 lbs or 5500 lbs). I’ve had it get above 230F on a few occasions as well and don’t feel like going another summer trip constantly watching the temp gauge. Trans temp is fine.

I’ve seen LS motor aftermarket oil coolers that insert a port between the oil filter and filter housing and have a thermostatically controlled path through a cooler, but I don’t know how risky of a setup that would be. Anyone have experience increasing cooling capacity on their Hybrid?

Old 12-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Oil Cooler?

Sounds incredibly risky. I doubt an oil cooler would do much of anything to lower your coolant temperature.

I would consider:
  1. a lower temp thermostat.
  2. confirm that your radiator isn't blocked.
  3. confirm your fans are operating properly.
  4. possibly replace the temperature sending unit.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Sounds incredibly risky. I doubt an oil cooler would do much of anything to lower your coolant temperature.

I would consider:
  1. a lower temp thermostat.
  2. confirm that your radiator isn't blocked.
  3. confirm your fans are operating properly.
  4. possibly replace the temperature sending unit.
I’m going to start by cleaning out the radiator fins. I know some of the 5.3L trucks have oil coolers on them as well so that’s why I’m thinking it could help regulate overall engine temp better. Might also see if a larger radiator can be fitted. Some other places online say the temps I mentioned are normal for towing on a standard drivetrain vehicle but at the end of the day I’d prefer to keep it below 220F for nothing more than peace of mind while driving.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Oil is terrible for heat transfer. Cooling it would do very little to cool the engine overall. Lots of effort for little or no gains towards the stated goal.

The coolant mix + pressure means you're not going to boil until about 250. Considering that you're doubling the power demand and the heat load, it's not surprising at all, and I would tend to agree with the crowd.

Again, make sure everything is working properly. I would assume the radiator fans are electric to decrease the parasitic load on the ICE as they've been demonstrated to be more efficient overall. Ensure they are functioning as intended. You might also look at devising a way to manually engage the cooling fans.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

I'm not remembering if the denali package started in 2011 or 2012, but i know there was a huge difference when i pulled the grille off my 2012 denali hybrid & towed my (5800#) camper compared to towing with it on. Temps rarely dropped below 220 on an 80f day with the grille on & held rock steady at 210 with a/c running when i took it off. The denali grill is apparently horrid for getting air to the radiator. Might be worth an experiment, it's easy enough to pop them off. It's not pretty but it'll tell you if it's an issue with airflow or not.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dslade05
I'm not remembering if the denali package started in 2011 or 2012, but i know there was a huge difference when i pulled the grille off my 2012 denali hybrid & towed my (5800#) camper compared to towing with it on. Temps rarely dropped below 220 on an 80f day with the grille on & held rock steady at 210 with a/c running when i took it off. The denali grill is apparently horrid for getting air to the radiator. Might be worth an experiment, it's easy enough to pop them off. It's not pretty but it'll tell you if it's an issue with airflow or not.
Noted, thank you. I may also consider adding a sprayer to spray water on the radiator. Towing at 80° and rain the temps came down as well. Taking a page out of the Subaru intercooler sprayer handbook.