Fluid replacements

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 01:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Fluid replacements

I always have a hard time when I go to the dealer and they give me a list of "dealer recommended" work to be done, especially when it doesn't come close to matching up with the maintenance schedule in the book.

I currently have 65k miles and the dealer has recommended have *all* fluids replaced, plus the always popular "carbon clearing" treatments. Quoted price: $2000.

The '10 Sliverado has had very light duty, so I'm more inclined to take the fluids to 100k miles, but thought I'd ask here what others have done. I know some people change fluids very early, but don't know if there is any evidence that the maintenance schedules should be shortened.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fluid replacements

The owner's manual was written by people who actually know what they are doing for the most part.

Things like maintenance are more than triple checked.

For "Carbon Cleaning" you should do at least the first of these yourself.

1) Buy a bottle of Techron. For almost immediate fuel injector cleaning results put the whole bottle in with about 1/4 tank of gas. Wash it in with about 5 fresh gallons to mix it.

2) Buy a can of Spray Gumout for the throttle body. By removing the black plastic ductwork from the front of the throttle body you can force it open (vehicle OFF) and inspect for black sooty or carbon like deposits. GM throttle blades have been known to get gummed up and stick. I use a white low-lint wiper cloth to physically scrub any deposits. The blade needs to fit well in the bore and any deposits at the blade bore interface can make It stick. Also where the shaft goes into the bore on the left and right. Clean that up too for smoothed operation.

3) Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner. You may want to buy a spray can of that and follow the directions on it.

So about $24 and maybe an hour. Or hundreds more.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 12-17-2017 at 05:08 PM.