Old 09-01-2012, 03:47 PM
aka soulsea
Default GM Cancels Next Generation Hybrid Trucks, SUVs

It looks like GM is giving up on us.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...s-suvs-113163/

Old 09-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Administrator
Default Re: GM Cancels Next Generation Hybrid Trucks, SUVs

not a definite statement, just speculation. now with my hybrid at 100k I'm waiting for the redesigned hybrid to get a new one.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:30 AM
aka soulsea

I'm hoping you're right ... however gminsidenews tend to be pretty accurate when it comes to this stuff. They do note that they may keep the esky hybrid so there's still hope for thee.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

This would be a serious bummer. I was looking forward to buying a 4-mode hybrid with a reasonably sized and priced plug in battery pack, able to run up to 60 MPH on electric, and with a few dozen miles all electric range.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 AM
Enthusiast

The hybrid trucks model are such a applications of the hybrid system mileage and gallon. It really improve the fuel economy and use for the transportations services. It really very smooth on the highways. The GMI launch a next generations trucks.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'd love to get some input on this decision from actual engineers and engineering managers at GM via our friend in GM Customer Service.

Seems like this is the best resource available to GM to get honest feedback and suggestions on a hybrid future, and how GM can meet both future customer needs and future CAFE standards with their lineup.

I would have been one of the first in line for a 4-mode 4WD pickup. Now I'm going to have to figure out how to make my current Silverado last, well, forever.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 PM
aka soulsea

LS, the technology is pretty close, if not already there, to make full size SUVat least as fuel efficient as the current hybrids without being hybrids. However the bean counters shut it down cause it is too expensive to produce, although as i understand it Ford has made decent strides with its ecoboost. And GM, probably smarting in the wake of the Volt financial debacle, is unlikely to be spearheading any groundbreaking new technologies ... more likely a continual evolution of existing tech.

As far as the GM hybrid trucks and SUVs, they just weren't selling enough ... the whole premise of these vehicles seems a natural contradiction to most when in fact many of us see them as the ideal confluence of technologies.

We'll see what happens ... hybrid technology isn't going away, in fact it is being developed in conjunction with plug in and diesel. Diesel hybrids are being pushed hard in Europe and will eventually make their way here because a lot of that tech makes sense.

In a strange way, GM was first in this hybrid game and now is the first to leave just as the party's getting started (in regards to SUVs) ... I get the feeling that they will end up regretting their haste.

Tbh, right now I'm just hoping the next trucks/suvs look good and perform well ... if those two elements are unsatisfactory, mpg will be a moot.

Last edited by HyHoe; 09-26-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Administrator

I see your soulsea as well.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:07 AM
aka soulsea

lol yeah ... actually that's my username on all the forums but this one.
It's actually noted under my username here next to my avy.

Last edited by HyHoe; 12-01-2012 at 09:10 AM.