GM Rack on Tahoe Hybrid

Old 11-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default GM Rack on Tahoe Hybrid

I've looked at the previous posts about getting a roof rack, and I thought I'd share my experience. When I asked my dealer about it, they looked at it and said it shouldn't be a problem and that it would take a couple of hours (cost about $700). I'm not sure the exact part numbers, but I asked for a standard Tahoe roof rack and crossbars, and am happy with the result. I haven't put anything up there yet, but it seems very sturdy.

Attached Thumbnails GM Rack on Tahoe Hybrid-imag0033.jpg   GM Rack on Tahoe Hybrid-imag0037.jpg  
Old 11-07-2010, 01:31 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default you have a good dealer!

I went to 4 including cad, gmc and 2 chevy dealers who all said they wouldnt even touch the idea! I went with thule and so far i am happy but I would have rather had the factory setup

Old 11-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: GM Rack on Tahoe Hybrid

Yeah I saw your post. I'm not sure why they wouldn't and that made me wonder if they knew something my dealer didn't. But we looked at both the regular and the hybrid roof and they looked the same. They had their body guy do the install and it was done in a couple of hours. So if anyone else is considering it, it can be done.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

Did you happen to get any details as to how it is attached? A local auto accessory store told me that even the factory uses self drilling screws... That's when I decided to not trust that place.

I'd be concerned about long-term corrosion protection with breaking the paint to screw it on. If you can get any info I'd love to hear it.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

I got a response so I'm pasting the relevant info here. I would presume that securing it firmly and keeping water out are the two biggest priorities with any roof rack installation. They mentioned too that this was done by their very experienced auto body person, which probably makes a huge difference in comfort, and I think it shows. It looks like it was there from the factory.

"after he drills the hole a collapsible nut is coated with sealant and inserted into the hole. Sealant is then injected into the collapsible nut threads, and last, sealant is applied over top of all this. My understanding is that this is actually beyond what the factory does."

Last edited by srvgh; 11-10-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:39 AM
SFM
Enthusiast
Default Re: you have a good dealer!

Originally Posted by jet1
I went to 4 including cad, gmc and 2 chevy dealers who all said they wouldnt even touch the idea! I went with thule and so far i am happy but I would have rather had the factory setup
Could you please provide the Thule part number(s). This is something I would like to add if I purchase a Hybrid Tahoe. I looked at the Thule website and they do not list an application for the hybrid. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:23 PM
a2t
Active Enthusiast

Looks nice. Always wondered why they didnt install roof racks on hybrids. With that much front area, wind resistance cant be a factor...maybe just build price, kinda like the lack of spare tire bullsh!t.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 PM
Enthusiast

My manual says mounting a rack is a violation of the warranty! The roof on GM SUV hybrids is made of lightweight aluminum and can't take much weight or other dynamic forces. You'd really be taking a chance on that one, in my opinion. If you are out of warranty, I guess I'd still add an interior steel structure, to assure that collapse is not immanent!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 AM
aka soulsea

I could be mistaken but I believe only the hood and the liftgate are made of aluminum, the rest of the sheet metal is the same as the regular trucks. I did some investigation on this with the idea of installing an esky/denalii roof rack, and if one wanted to avoid drilling holes on their roof for fear of future leakage/rust issues one could also use industrial strength automotive 3M adhesive ... not the relatively weak kind that they use for plastic trim/moldings. There is 3M adhesive out there that is unbelievably strong and would have no problems handling the stress, the only problem would be that once it's on it will basically never come off because the bond is permanent.

So it's possible, with no drilling or warranty issues, just make sure you line up those rails right cause a heat gun and some fishing line ain't gonna budge 'em.

Cheers!

Old 09-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

I definitely would plan for no more than 200 lbs cargo capacity. This is the absolute maximum to keep from damaging the roof structure. Many sites where there are enthusiasts; are mounting roof racks. I'm not sure what brands. However, when I ordered my vehicle I was firmly denied the roof rack; and even some sites that have builders on them warned against mounting one.

Originally at the Chevy accessory site, I was admonished that there was no part number for the roof rack on the 2008 Tahoe Hybrid, and that one shouldn't be attempted. Just sayin'.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Rack on Tahoe Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands