GMC Yukon hybrid 2008 - hybrid battery cell overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: GMC Yukon hybrid 2008 - hybrid battery cell overheating

Seemed fine or performed blower fan tests with test tool?

Next, he should be able to see which of the 4 temperature sensors are "hot". And how many degrees C hotter than the rest. If all 4 are "hot" the air flow is not fine.

Lastly please contact the GM customer service folks and attempt to have GM meet you half way on the repair cost.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

What was the outcome? Final cost ?

Old 11-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
That code has to do with a hot battery all right. Now how did it get that way? The service scan tool can operate the HV battery cooling fan to check it.

Next there is the matter of cooling air flow obstructions.The fan operation and air flow should be looked at first.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:36 PM
Enthusiast

So where should I start first like is there a specific scan to that I should use for the cooling fans in the high-voltage battery ??I jis had a new battery from the dealer ,is there a possiblility that they may have sold me a faulty battery or could it be me over lookin the real issue and jis not noticing it???i truly appreciate ur help as I’m down to little to no options left and I’m tryna salvage what I can out of the truck bec I’ve spend almost my last on the truck only for it to not run...thanks again

Old 01-16-2018, 06:25 AM

You need the dealership scan tool to manually override the fan.

Do you have a bunch of stuff on the floor blocking the air vents?

Did anyone check the air vent that exits the battery?

Old 01-22-2018, 09:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Do you have dogs/cats that ride in the truck? My battery intake grate was full of dog hair...

Old 11-17-2018, 01:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Mysterious writing on inside of battery top cover? is this code for this battery WILL last forever? Haha
I recently bought a 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid with 197k miles that I was told has the original traction battery. I have been reading through this forum trying to learn about the GM Hybrid two mode system. We finally had a day here in Middle TN where it is NOT raining and the outside temps are in the 50's Yeah like summer again!.
I decided to check the traction battery fan to see if it needed cleaning. I took my time and got the floor panels off, they are simply clipped in place and gentle steady pressure removes the panels without damaging them. Immediately saw lots of dirt and spider webs etc I guess 9 years of build up LOL. Vacuumed it all off real good, including the cooling fan intake "expanded metal grate" which was approx 33% blocked with dirt/funk. Pulled the ornage safety disconnect.. I did find a problem, the previous owner had installed a set of Weathertech floor liners. After seeing how the cooling system draws air I realized that the Weathertech liners lip that turns up about 2" was completely blocking the slotted intake vents in the bottom front seat panels restricting the airflow. I trimmed the floor liners to clear the slots. i then went ahead and pulled the metal top of the battery (because I was curious and wanted to see if it was dirty inside) I cleaned the actual fan wheel blade it was not bad too just some light dust. Here are a few pics. Hopefully the old HO will run to over 300k without any major issues.the technology on these things fascinates me. I really like this HO.

cooling fan intake metal grate about 1/3 blocked?

Small shop vac with brush adapter works great

Passenger side comes off first see the little push clips? Then remove the orange safety disconnect

Safety First!

Looks like a factory tag? I was told the battery has never been changed out and is original?

Main floor battery cover panel I had to rework one metal clip it stayed in the car body be careful not to damage them!

Isn't that a cool looking battery pack? Hard to believe it still functions like new at 9yrs old and nearly 200k miles. Great job GM

That's right I chopped up the Weathertech floor liner obviously not designed for a Hybrid HO!

Last edited by dnt1010; 11-17-2018 at 01:56 PM. Reason: added a couple of pics
Old 11-17-2018, 04:53 PM

The "L" in the 5th digit means the S/N was assigned in 2008 or 2009 (I can't pin that digit down consistently).

Check the serial numbers on all the modules. The first FOUR digits and the LAST digit should all be identical. The 4th digit will be J (2008) or K (2009).

Your dataplate should indicate month and year of manufacture. The battery is usually made 0-3 months before that date.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Looks like it is in fact the original battery by that info. It seems to be doing pretty well at 197k miles. GM claims that these batteries should last 300k miles? I am sure that if the controls systems hold up / it gets good airflow and is regularly driven that there is a chance of that. I am looking for 300k trouble free miles.
The Hybrid system seems pretty solid on these. The ICE with the AFM/DOD system seems to be the weak link. i am thinking about building a non-afm 6.0 with some improvements maybe to around 755hp (will this little Allision bus transmission handle that kind of hp? Oh I bet it will) It would be the fastest Hybrid in my little town that is for sure Hahahahahahaha I could crush up some Prius's VROOOOOOOMMMM

755 HP @6400 RPM
715 LB-FT

Old 11-29-2018, 08:32 AM

The hybrid drive will handle it. You will need to totally re-program the engine and hybrid computers to run that

Quick Reply: GMC Yukon hybrid 2008 - hybrid battery cell overheating

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands