Has anyone installed 2 amps in their Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid?

Old 08-14-2014, 07:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Has anyone installed 2 amps in their Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid?

I am trying to save money by using an old 4 channel amplifier I have, but in order to run a sub...I would need another amp. So, I am curious if anyone else have installed 2 amps in their hybrid...I could always go for a 5 channel amp, but trying not to buy anything new that I don't have to. I have read numerous posts about how you can hook up stereo equipment like a non-hybrid, but wondering if their is a limit with there not being a 'real' alternator on the hybrids.

Thanks in advance!

I just spoke with an advisor with Crutchfield and he said they have a note in their system regarding the Tahoe/Yukon Hybrids to "It is not recommended that high power audio systems be installed in this vehicle due to the large current draw they will introduce to the system. (DO NOT exceed a 30A current draw or 350W RMS power rating.) So with that in mind, it might be tough to install 2 aftermarket amps in your system."

Last edited by dawgfan1606; 08-14-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Has anyone installed 2 amps in their Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid?

The 2 Mode has a solid state DC-to-DC converter not an alternator. It can put out 185 amps any time the vehicle is running. Engine on, engine off in EV. 185A

Old 08-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Although I have not installed a high end audio system in my Hybrid Tahoe yet(and probably never will), I consulted with my mobile audio guy and he thinks the hybrid system is well isolated from the 12V system, thus almost anything audio that could be done in a normal Tahoe can be done in the hybrid, including installing a dedicated alternator if necessary(plenty of room).

I have always wondered if the hybrid system could be tapped into for an insane audio system, the consensus is no.

Disclaimer-at a younger age I thought loud music was the coolest-lol, I have another Tahoe(same body style) with an advanced audio system, we fit 7 Mechman 370 amp alternators under the hood with no problem.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Don't need a dedicated alternator. The beauty of the hybrid with solid state APM is that at idle, it can put out FULL power. It is water cooled.

Almost 2 killowatts at idle. I don't know of any alternator that can do that. You still have to rev up most alternators to get full power.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast

Plus, you could always put it in like a home unit, because it has a plug in outlet in the back. On Silveradoes, they were powering welding units, so I'd think it could take it, but I haven't looked on the factory schematic to make sure.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dawgfan1606
I am trying to save money by using an old 4 channel amplifier I have, but in order to run a sub...I would need another amp. So, I am curious if anyone else have installed 2 amps in their hybrid...I could always go for a 5 channel amp, but trying not to buy anything new that I don't have to. I have read numerous posts about how you can hook up stereo equipment like a non-hybrid, but wondering if their is a limit with there not being a 'real' alternator on the hybrids.

Thanks in advance!

I just spoke with an advisor with Crutchfield and he said they have a note in their system regarding the Tahoe/Yukon Hybrids to "It is not recommended that high power audio systems be installed in this vehicle due to the large current draw they will introduce to the system. (DO NOT exceed a 30A current draw or 350W RMS power rating.) So with that in mind, it might be tough to install 2 aftermarket amps in your system."
Geeze the factory Bose system in my truck almost breaks the windows as it is!! I'd think almost anything could be installed like that!