Hello folks! New and already have a question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Teufel Hunden
Default Hello folks! New and already have a question!

I was looking to buy rims and tires for my new Tahoe Hybrid (because, in my humble opinion, the stock rims reduce the looks by about 10 grand) and I was wondering if anyone else has already pioneered this.
My questions are concerning both lug pattern and backspacing. From my own personal experience I would assume that the lug pattern and backspacing would be the same as all GM vehicles in this class regardless of whether they are Hybrid or not...but we all know what assumptions do!
If anyone can give me some insight I would be grateful; if not, I'll figure it out soon enough at the tire center!

Nice meeting Ya'll!

P.S. Speaking of reducing the looks by 10 grand, I had the dealership remove all of those hideous Hybrid graphics prior to driving off the lot!

Monty

Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Chevy Man
Default Re: Hello folks! New and already have a question!

The lug pattern and general wheel specs should be the same for the Hybrid as it is on the regular GMT 900 Platform (Tahoe, 1500 Suburban, 1500 Silverado). As of right now, GM does not support a software upgrade for the ABS module on the Hybrid if you change the size of the rims since they do not offer a different rim option when ordering. For example, on the Non-Hybrid you can put 20" rims on it and have the service technician call GM Tech-Line and download a new VCI number and recalibrate the ABS module for the new tire size.

Personally I would recommend sticking with 18" rims if you can and just get a different style. I agree with you, however, that my rims could look a lot better

Old 01-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Teufel Hunden

Thanks for the reply Nicka! I'm glad I waited to hear it; I wonder if the tire center would have told me that. I didn't know I would need to adjust for the ABS but it makes a lot of sense now that you've mentioned it. I think I'm just going to hold off until I wear out the first set of tires before swapping...maybe by then GM will have an upgrade ready. It's going to be hard to wait that long seeing as how I'm not burning rubber out of the driveway! **** I LOVE THIS VEHICLE though!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nicka
The lug pattern and general wheel specs should be the same for the Hybrid as it is on the regular GMT 900 Platform (Tahoe, 1500 Suburban, 1500 Silverado). As of right now, GM does not support a software upgrade for the ABS module on the Hybrid if you change the size of the rims since they do not offer a different rim option when ordering. For example, on the Non-Hybrid you can put 20" rims on it and have the service technician call GM Tech-Line and download a new VCI number and recalibrate the ABS module for the new tire size.

Personally I would recommend sticking with 18" rims if you can and just get a different style. I agree with you, however, that my rims could look a lot better

Now that I don't understand, why does it matter what size rim? Just so long the overall size of the tire is same as stock. But yes, if you change the tire size your speedometer will be off. But if all the tires are the same size, how will that affect ABS?

Guess I need to add my Yukon on my HPTuners.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

I would also like to put on larger rims and tires and am not clear on how this would affect ABS. I can see that the computer may no longer give accurate mileage/economy and tire inflation results, but I can live with that. I really think 18" wheels look way too small for this rig. I'd like to go with the 20"-ers off the tahoe/suburban LTZ.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast

I too would prefer 20s but I am not risking it.

I spoke to a couple of dealers and both did not recommend going larger with the hybrid.

At least the chrome 18s will look better than what's on there now!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Teufel Hunden

I haven't purchased rims yet but I'm going 20s when I do. I want to get the new drop springs on first though...maybe 18s will look good enough with it lowered/leveled. I ordered the lowering kit so when it comes in and I get it put on I'll take pics and post 'em. I saw 22s on a lowered, Non-Hybrid Tahoe and it looked fantastic...who knows, maybe i'll go to 22s. How's that for ambivalence! haha

Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

22s might look a bit too "gangsta" IMO.

Oh, the large wheel wells on the hybrid bug me.

Anyone know why they are so much bigger compared to a standard Tahoe?

I don't get it....

Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Teufel Hunden

I guess it depends on the rim! now 22s on a Crown Vic is Waaaaaaaaaayyy wrong BUT the Tahoe is a pretty good sized vehicle and like you said it has BIG wheel wells.

At least I'm not dreaming of putting those retarded looking vents on the sides of the fenders or making it a rolling advertisement for "Black Majik" tire wet! Have you seen that? Big stickers all over the vehicle advertising a product?...it's big here in Chucktown (lots of idiots here).

Maybe I'm just being close-minded and judgemental....kids these days.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

USMC - are you going to do anything about the low front air dam when you lower the truck? I catch it a lot on curbs as it is. (I won't lower mine as I use it off road). I guess if you are used to a low truck with ground effects, it isn't much of an issue.

Are the wheel wells really bigger than a regular Tahoe, or does the additional aerodynamic trim make them appear bigger? I've never measured side by side, but I think they are the same.

Quick Reply: Hello folks! New and already have a question!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands