How important is the break in period?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Administrator
Default Re: How important is the break in period?

I go with the DIC and the intervals seems to be 10k to 13k miles at 25%-30% left. using mobil 1 "extended performance!"

Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

What parameters does the dic use to estimate oil life?

Old 12-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CYKBC
i'm not sure but I used blackstone and it confirmed what my DIC was saying, using several samples.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CYKBC
In general the engine computer uses miles, warm up cycles, and time. If you drive very little the DIC will ramp down mostly based on calendar time. If you drive lots of interstate miles in a short time the DIC will allow many more miles before nagging about the next oil change. The algorythm is actually very accurate.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

so to the dic, the type of oil, regular or synthetic, mobil 1 or extended life doesn't matter since it doesn't account for it?

given what i know now, i think i'll follow the dic and consider using mobil 1 if not extended life like evois.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
i'm not sure but I used blackstone and it confirmed what my DIC was saying, using several samples.
with all due respect, i never understood the value of sending oil samples to blackstone simply because they can't tell you causation like since you show x and y in your oil sample, engine tests have shown on your z vehicle that you're good to go for another t miles without any additional wear on internal components compared to fresh new oil.

wouldn't the geniuses at GM be the only ones who have access to such data that can begin to tell us anything meaningful? . maybe i'm just int he wrong business!

Last edited by CYKBC; 12-02-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Administrator

they actually tell you the wear items in the sample that is present. when it had the engine leak, the dealer added some dye and it showed in the sample that I sent them. plus it tells you the remaining base stocks of your oil.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

but how does that tell you what's going on with the engine? an oil change is $80 at worst. it's supposed to get swapped out. an engine... quite a bit more of a pain in the rear. thx!

Last edited by CYKBC; 12-02-2012 at 05:35 PM.