Hybrid drivetrain into hot rod, need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid drivetrain into hot rod, need help

I like the way you think. I've dreamed that if I ever wreck my hyho I'll be figuring a way to fit it into my 91 camaro lol. It's a longshot but it really isn't as complicated as people make it out to be so long as you have the WHOLE parts car to work with. The best part about newer vehicles is their ability to "work" without having everything "working". When I was playing around with my camaro's fuel injection it was robust but only if all of the sensors were working! Then they got smart and installed a MAF sensor to compliment/replace the MAP sensor. Hotrodders could leave off the MAF on LT1 engines and they would default into speed density (MAP only) mode. Worked great... until the MAP sensor failed lol. Anyways I really do wish I had a garage to do the swap but not wishing to wreck my hybrid just yet . Good luck if you tackle this project!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

What I would do is strip the donor car down and transplant pretty much everything but HVAC and stereo stuff.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:05 AM
Enthusiast

Netgain had a kit that allowed any FI RWD automatic transmission vehicle to be converted to a hydrid

their kit doesn't look difficult but it probably lacks the refinement of factory systems. However, Netgain's looks like it would be easy to control manually which could be fun.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If the drive shaft mounted motor and I assume generator comes on strong enough during regenerative braking... the rear axle can drag and you can do real cool Bat Man turn arounds.

Dodge had this idea in the mid 90s but did not produce it. They were going to add a motor/generator on the rear drive shaft after the transfer case.

Newer technology such as the rare earth permanent magnet motors and NiMh or better yet Lithium Ion will be better. And more expensive. But then you need an inverter. More $$

I admire their creativity.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, too much rear braking force can be a big problem, I converted an old non-power 4 wheel drum brake car to power disc brakes (disc up front only), left the original drum brake set up at the rear. It seemed great on high traction surfaces or with a full tank of gas adding weight to the rear.... but under other conditions, especially braking going down hill, the rear brakes would lock first and it took some skill not to have the sliding rear overtake the front. I solved the problem by installing an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear brake line and turning the pressure down to the rear until I got the fronts to lock a hair before the rears. I expect with a mild regeneration system and modern ABS to back off manual braking if both are occurring simultaneously it may not be too big a problem, especially if you put a lot of the added battery weight over the rear tires? I thought about converting that same old car to a hybrid using a similar approach to Netgain (or even an ev) but other than a little research on the internet and a few calculations on scraps of paper haven't taken it anywhere. On the evalbum.com website there are a few vehicles using their 'EMIS' system. I just checked their page http://www.go-ev.com/EMIS.html and it appears they are using it as a plugin system with no regeneration, possibly due to such safety issues.