Hybrid Elect steering rack damper bushing

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 02:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Hybrid Elect steering rack damper bushing

09 HO with 205k 3.5" lift oversize tires and wheels. The lift is a leveling kit so my steering angles are off and tierod is at a steep angle. I was getting some front tire wear so I took the Ho in for an alignment and shop says the steering rack bushing on passenger side is worn and will have to be replaced to do a proper alignment. Dealership says that bushing is not a stand alone part number and I will have to purchase a new rack for 2k. WTF? This Bushing looks just like the one on a NonHybrid with hydraulic steering rack? Online Febest rack bushing kit claims it will fit all Hybrid and NonHybrid but of course has a disclaimer that you should check the dealer part number (which apparently does not exist?)
Bushing for NonHybrid is 8 bucks so I ordered one and will give it a try this weekend. Wondering if anyone else has run into this and if they got the bushing to work? The outside diameter of the Elect and hydraulic measure the same and the brackets look to be identical......................................... ..........

Old 05-12-2019, 12:59 PM
Default Re: Hybrid Elect steering rack damper bushing

OK for future reference and hopefully to save someone some Hassle. On GM Hybrid two Mode units 2007 through 2013 with the electric steering rack. The NonHybrid steering rack damper bushing for the hydraulic rack DOES NOT FIT. It is the same diameter but is not wide enough, it is about 1/2" less in width so it will not fit into the electric rack support bracket/block..
Re: The NonHybrid Hydraulic rack bushing GM part number 22960484 is what I bought to try "NO GO"
Existing OEM Hybrid Electric rack bushing has a part number moulded onto the end of the bushing NR+BR-0-5432-B7010-A but nothing pulls up anywhere on the internet for sourcing the rubber bushing using that number?.
I have emailed a place that re-manufactures the electric racks and they said they would see if they could sell me a bushing by itself. Fingers crossed as that seems to be the easiest solution. Bushing is actually fairly easy to change out I spent much more time messing with brass shim thicknesses and fitting it than anything else. Ended up using one complete wrap of .020 brass shim cut precisely 1 1/2" wide by the circumference of inside of bracket/block
I added the.020 brass shim inside the support bracket then popped the old rubber bushing back in I had to lightly tap the assembly back onto the steering rack body so it is a pretty tight fit.
it may settle and loosen back up but right now looks to be good for several miles till I can source a new replacement. This temporary fix actually appears to have worked very well,
Got you some pics above if interested.

Last edited by dnt1010; 05-12-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:59 PM

i'm confirming with the seller of the size measurements.

IF you need one really bad I can get one at a salvage yard they got a hybrid I was going to strip some parts off of it for my self .....

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 05-13-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:03 AM

To find a Hybrid Two Mode at a salvage yard in my area is a pretty rare occurrence. I appreciate the offer but for right now the shim seems to be working. Hoping that the rack re-manufacture people will come through with a NEW bushing for me..................

Old 11-19-2019, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dnt1010

OK for future reference and hopefully to save someone some Hassle. On GM Hybrid two Mode units 2007 through 2013 with the electric steering rack. The NonHybrid steering rack damper bushing for the hydraulic rack DOES NOT FIT. It is the same diameter but is not wide enough, it is about 1/2" less in width so it will not fit into the electric rack support bracket/block..
Re: The NonHybrid Hydraulic rack bushing GM part number 22960484 is what I bought to try "NO GO"
Existing OEM Hybrid Electric rack bushing has a part number moulded onto the end of the bushing NR+BR-0-5432-B7010-A but nothing pulls up anywhere on the internet for sourcing the rubber bushing using that number?.
I have emailed a place that re-manufactures the electric racks and they said they would see if they could sell me a bushing by itself. Fingers crossed as that seems to be the easiest solution. Bushing is actually fairly easy to change out I spent much more time messing with brass shim thicknesses and fitting it than anything else. Ended up using one complete wrap of .020 brass shim cut precisely 1 1/2" wide by the circumference of inside of bracket/block
I added the.020 brass shim inside the support bracket then popped the old rubber bushing back in I had to lightly tap the assembly back onto the steering rack body so it is a pretty tight fit.
it may settle and loosen back up but right now looks to be good for several miles till I can source a new replacement. This temporary fix actually appears to have worked very well,
Got you some pics above if interested.

Any update on topic?

Old 11-20-2019, 04:38 AM

No contact back from the electric rack re-manufacturer. (kind of expected that) The bushing with the "added" brass spacer is working well. I am going to run it like this.
I am betting that the brass shim will be OK for many thousands of miles. At 217k current mileage the Tahoe is doing great and I expect to get to 300k easily. (knock on wood LOL)

Last edited by dnt1010; 11-20-2019 at 04:39 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-20-2019, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dnt1010
No contact back from the electric rack re-manufacturer. (kind of expected that) The bushing with the "added" brass spacer is working well. I am going to run it like this.
I am betting that the brass shim will be OK for many thousands of miles. At 217k current mileage the Tahoe is doing great and I expect to get to 300k easily. (knock on wood LOL)

Got it! Thank you man!