installed the volant intake today

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:38 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default installed the volant intake today

you really need two fully functional arms! fits ok but is not perfect and required some body trimming (where the bottom cold air duct fits. its kind of a wrestling match when you can only use one arm for leverage. its def. louder if you really punch the throttle ...filled up and reset all the mileage to do a test. more to come......

Old 04-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Default Re: installed the volant intake today

lets bring it! did you replace the plugs or just the volant intake? the plugs says AC delco but are actually NGK iridium, not bad!

Old 04-25-2010, 09:48 PM
FLY NAVY!

nope just the intake early returns in fuel mileage indicate a 4+ mpg increase, now on to the big worry---the VOIDED WARRANTY debate..!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jet congradulations and first class based on your injury. NKG Iridium, mmm we had iridium in aviation 30 years ago its okay, better technology exsists. There is a lot of room for ingnition, intake, and fuel injection system improvements. Best example a current aircraft injected piston engine by Continental or Lycoming has fuel injectors with maybe a 15-10% tolerance take that with the cylinder tolerance and in a eight cylinder engine maybe one is running at peak while the other are running lean of peak or rich of peak. Peak = Maximum EGT for best performance optimum fuel burn for best performance. Now an Aviation company called Gaime developed a procedure and injector to match each cylinder to reach peak EGT at the same time resulting in a decrease of fuel used and an increase in performance, by how much I have seen 25-30%. Big differance.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Could anyone please tell me which Volant CAI will fit a 2009 Tahoe Hybrid(if any)? I contacted several vendors before contacting Volant tech support directly and they all told me there isn't one that will fit the 2009 Tahoe Hybrid. I was told there is a difference on the mass air flow sensor from 2009 forward and the one they have will not fit and not to try it because it wont work. i'm assuming that if this is true all of the volant cai's I have seen have been on 2008's, which they claim they do have a cai for.
Thanks Much,

Old 05-04-2010, 08:19 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default actually...

Originally Posted by hybrid-theory
Could anyone please tell me which Volant CAI will fit a 2009 Tahoe Hybrid(if any)? I contacted several vendors before contacting Volant tech support directly and they all told me there isn't one that will fit the 2009 Tahoe Hybrid. I was told there is a difference on the mass air flow sensor from 2009 forward and the one they have will not fit and not to try it because it wont work. i'm assuming that if this is true all of the volant cai's I have seen have been on 2008's, which they claim they do have a cai for.
Thanks Much,
the 2008 install isnt quite perfect....everything lines up and connects but it is not quite a plug and play. the opening in the bottom of the airbox requires some body modification (at least on mine) the fender opening doesn't quite match up but the front grill opening (behind the grill) is perfect. It took a bit of wrangling but I saw an immediate fuel mileage increase and to be honest it seems to really have an extra 20 hp or so!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks I may try it and see if i can make it work for my 2009.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:12 AM
Administrator

what is so different of the volant from the stock airbox? is the design more aerodynamic, straight, bigger diameter, etc? I know a few members have tried it and attest to have improved mileage but have not yet jump the gun and buy one risking the warranty and all(1st GM product).

Old 05-05-2010, 08:48 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default well...

Originally Posted by evois
what is so different of the volant from the stock airbox? is the design more aerodynamic, straight, bigger diameter, etc? I know a few members have tried it and attest to have improved mileage but have not yet jump the gun and buy one risking the warranty and all(1st GM product).
the volant airbox has a much greater volume, it has more "cold air" access, a much better and more efficient filter and smoother lines. Any time air flows around something the velocity slows down ie a corrugated tube is less efficient than a smoothed aerodynamic form, also any time air has to "bend" around a corner it slows down straighten out the bumps and the flow channel and you get better efficiency....so far for me about 4 mpg more efficiency.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast

Good morning Jet1,
Did you have any clearance issue while trying to install the intake to the Throttle Body? I purchased an Airaid Jr kit designed for 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0L engines and the initial bend off the Throttle Body would not allow it to fit with the resivor in front, so I sent it back.

Quick Reply: installed the volant intake today

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands