just dropped the yukon off for CNG conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:54 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default just dropped the yukon off for CNG conversion!

the adventure begins...they will take five days on the conversion so hopefully next week I will have some preliminary observations

Old 11-18-2011, 05:42 PM
aka soulsea
Default Re: just dropped the yukon off for CNG conversion!

Old 11-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Administrator

can you take pics of the install?

Old 11-20-2011, 09:48 AM
FLY NAVY!

Originally Posted by evois
can you take pics of the install?
already planned! I hope to write an article from the perspective of the user, concerns, observations, pictures of the custom aspect of the install for example they are custom building SS lines for all the plumbing and building 2 custom tanks to fit in the cavern where the resonator used to live.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

wooww...

This is gonna be great.

Have a question.

How they will manage the auto start (electric to Gasoline) in the system.

If I recall correct, the LPG and CNG make the engine start in gasoline for a few seconds, and then auto change to CNG mode.

At least that was the way in my times !!!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:36 PM
FLY NAVY!

Originally Posted by Time Hybrid
wooww...

This is gonna be great.

Have a question.

How they will manage the auto start (electric to Gasoline) in the system.

If I recall correct, the LPG and CNG make the engine start in gasoline for a few seconds, and then auto change to CNG mode.

At least that was the way in my times !!!

there is technically no change. as the car now starts on gas (unless you are moving slowly) it will simply start on gas. after the engine is started on gas the new computer for the CNG will sense the engine status (running on gas) and then cut in the CNG. you have basically just add a new fuel source and when the CNG is low it just runs conventionally on gas or electric. The big advantage is that I can fuel the CNG for the equivalent of 1.27 per gallon (current price) and the US has more natural CNG underground than ALL of the oil in the middle east combined together and it burns cleaner thus adding longevity to the engine.
I already have a plan for changing the emblem to read 3MODE CNG (cng in green to match the X)!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:46 PM
aka soulsea

Well I for one cannot wait to see how this turns out.

To be honest I'd be apprehensive about adding further complexity to a vehicle which seems to already strain the limits in this regard. Having experienced once the shutdown protocol initiated to preserve the hybrid drive (due to the safety latch thingie under the pass seat not being pushed back all the way in and coming loose), I'd be permanently stressed that such a modification would somehow confuse the software and it would start spitting out codes and shut down in the middle of nowhere.

But you seem confident and happy so I root for you.

Last edited by HyHoe; 11-21-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:20 PM
FLY NAVY!

I am not worried about that at all because they are not tapping into any of the cars system, they are simply adding a new system. according to my research it is against federal law to modify an existing emissions system but it is ok to add or convert a system to alternative fuels. there may also be some tax incentives to do this. Simply put the CNG has an on/off switch so in worst case scenario you just switch it off and drive in normal 2 mode until you can get it looked at. One reason they are keeping the car a week is to totally debug and fine tune it. this is a dedicated group of guys who really believe in what they are doing, they are not just selling a product. I know its rare these days but such people do still exist...

Originally Posted by HyHoe
Well I for one cannot wait to see how this turns out.

To be honest I'd be apprehensive about adding further complexity to a vehicle which seems to already strain the limits in this regard. Having experienced once the shutdown protocol initiated to preserve the hybrid drive (due to the safety latch thingie under the pass seat not being pushed back all the way in and coming loose), I'd be permanently stressed that such a modification would somehow confuse the software and it would start spitting out codes and shut down in the middle of nowhere.

But you seem confident and happy so I root for you.