To keep or not to keep...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast
Question To keep or not to keep...

I am considering selling my 2009 CTH 2WD. I look forward to your input.

78k and no problems to speak of. It has been a nice vehicle. It's clean and I added CAI as well as chopped the resonator.

I believe my warranty for the Hybrid systems expires at 100k. This makes me a bit nervous (this may be unfounded).

My question here is, do I sell it while I can get good money for it? I am afraid the resale value will begin to decrease rapidly past 85k. Has anyone else found this to be true?

I don't want to get caught past my warranty with very costly repairs and hard to find parts. Are my concerns valid with 09 CTH? I want to trust this vehicle. Any advice for me?

Regards,

Ryan

Old 01-05-2014, 07:18 AM
Administrator
Default Re: To keep or not to keep...

that would be the dilemma for any car owner. I believe below 90k is when you can get some decent resale value for your hybrid. past 100k miles, it will be difficult to sell it unless it is auctioned off. but I found my hybrid very reliable hence decided to make it a keeper. it is big SUV with 6200 lbs towing and also great gas mileage. the technology is only being applied to the new vehicles that are coming in. I am at close to 150k miles already with trouble free driving. hillbilly said that it is rated to go up to 300k miles and at the rate I'm using it, I think I will be able to reach it in no time. The only thing that might need replacing down the road would be the 600v hybrid battery that even retails only at $2500 or less with core. not a bit worried. engine is stout and have been using only synthetic Mobil 1 extended performance. the choice is yours.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
that would be the dilemma for any car owner. I believe below 90k is when you can get some decent resale value for your hybrid. past 100k miles, it will be difficult to sell it unless it is auctioned off. but I found my hybrid very reliable hence decided to make it a keeper. it is big SUV with 6200 lbs towing and also great gas mileage. the technology is only being applied to the new vehicles that are coming in. I am at close to 150k miles already with trouble free driving. hillbilly said that it is rated to go up to 300k miles and at the rate I'm using it, I think I will be able to reach it in no time. The only thing that might need replacing down the road would be the 600v hybrid battery that even retails only at $2500 or less with core. not a bit worried. engine is stout and have been using only synthetic Mobil 1 extended performance. the choice is yours.

Ditto. I am keeping mine until at least 150,000 and at that point I will reevaluate and might try for 300,000. At 74,000 now with only a bad Throttle body (covered).

Old 01-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cdbrow1
Ditto. I am keeping mine until at least 150,000 and at that point I will reevaluate and might try for 300,000. At 74,000 now with only a bad Throttle body (covered).
Wow, similar experience. I'm around 65,000 and while traveling over Christmas break, Traction Control light went on and dash said something like "Reducing speed." We pulled over because the car was slowing down to under 40mph on the interstate. Long story short, a new (warranty-covered) throttle body and back to new. I'm not the original owner so I wonder if that why I didn't get any letter or notice?

Old 02-11-2014, 02:49 AM
Enthusiast

your always making payments...either on a paid off car for maintenance or payments on a new one. I prefer a vehicle I know and have known, if I have to put some money in it, so be it, I know whats right and wrong with it. These suvs should go 300 thousand but if you go new, yeah you get higher insurance ,payments(for most) and theres never a guarantee that the newer one is gonna be a champion. I put 250k plus on my suburban and still miss it sometimes. The new owner is a friend of mine and he is driving and driving it. Says it is great. I think we become jaded when we have a mild or moderate issue and consider trading. Ultimately up to you but if you know your ride, that is gold. good luck to you

Old 04-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

What did you decide to do?