LA Area Reliable Shop or Mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 08:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default LA Area Reliable Shop or Mechanic?

Anyone in Southern CA South Bay or surrounding area, do you have a good hybrid mechanic or know a good shoe or dealership for our hybrids?

my 08 yukon is starting have problems and will need to go to a shop, however I cant seem to locate a hybrid mechanic besides Prius mechanics.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: LA Area Reliable Shop or Mechanic?

Good luck finding one. I decided to learn as much as possible about our 2008 Tahoe when I took it to the dealership and realized how incompetent they were for an issue that was not even hybrid related. With all the information found online (especially this forum) and a scan tool, I was able to diagnose the Tahoe as having had the wrong gear ratio installed after a whole rear end swap. It would throw error codes after a certain speed. Then with the battery issues that started popping up, the scan tool became very useful to log the battery module information and seek advice from other forum users who have vast experience with hybrid batteries, including the modules used in our SUVs.

My advice is to describe the issues that your Yukon has in this forum and also to get an OBD 2 scan tool and read the codes.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:21 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrid Fix. They do lots of work on Priuses but the dude who works there is absolutely amazing - he knows a ton about the hybrid system and although he's told me he doesn't do a ton of work on GM stuff, he's more than happy to work on anything you bring him. He's fixed a handful of issues I've had with my truck. He'll be able to test batteries and see if they're good or not, and he's got the GM code scanner for all hybrid stuff. He ran my codes for free. Seriously he's the homie.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rickz08Yuk
Anyone in Southern CA South Bay or surrounding area, do you have a good hybrid mechanic or know a good shoe or dealership for our hybrids?

my 08 yukon is starting have problems and will need to go to a shop, however I cant seem to locate a hybrid mechanic besides Prius mechanics.
Yes i have a mechanic here in Los Angeles . He works on them
I find most are very scared to work on them because of the high voltage.

he will even work on them if you bring your own parts and not charge extra like other mechanics do ... he can also order the parts for you as well...

if they charge extra when you bring your own parts then it's a shady shop because they want to charge A HUGE markup on the parts they sell to you they normally mark it up x2,x3 the original cost of the part and they use the cheapest garbage they can find.
if they don't charge extra then it's a good shop.
Just make sure it's the correct parts though.. other wise it will delay the repair..

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 03-08-2019 at 12:42 AM.