Lock Pick

Old 07-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Lock Pick

You may know about the "GM Lock Pick".
This device lets you over-ride the DVD screen and nav screen lockout when driving. Some versions allow extra camera inputs.
I've installed a bluetooth module that connects in a similar way, through the CAN bus, which is like a LAN for cars.

Well, I just came across this TSB on the lock pick:

Bulletin No.: 07-08-44-004A
Date: April 15, 2008
Subject:
Diagnostic Information on Navigation Radio Aftermarket Modules Causing Various LAN Communication Concerns and DTCs, No Crank, Vehicle Stability Lights and Messages, TPM Warning Lights, PRNDL Position Errors Models:
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade Models
2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon Models Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2008 model year, the Sierra model and clarify/add information (Updated information is shown with asterisks). Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-44-004 (Section 08 - Body & Accessories).
Some customers may comment of one or more of the following concerns:
^ Vehicle will not crank. ^ Vehicle cranks but will not start. ^ Vehicle stability enhancement system warning lights and messages. ^ PRNDL gear indicator position errors. ^ Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system warning lights. Technicians may find various Local Area Network (LAN) communication Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) and no low speed LAN communications with the Tech 2(R).
These conditions may be caused by the installation of an aftermarket navigation radio module.
It has been brought to our attention that some customers may be installing and using certain aftermarket products that are used in conjunction with the factory navigation radio systems.
*These aftermarket products allow the user to display the video output of the DVD player on the navigation screen while driving the vehicle. Normally the DVD output is only available on the navigation display when the vehicle is placed in PARK. These aftermarket products may include additional features such as an aftermarket camera or a second backup camera. These products may enable other navigation functions to operate while driving that would normally be available only when the vehicle is placed in PARK*.
Dealers have found that these products can cause unusual problems that are difficult to diagnose. These products may be difficult to identify because they are installed behind the navigation unit and are not visible unless the navigation unit is removed.
*Technicians may also find aftermarket ipod interface modules installed on the vehicle. These modules may cause intermittent XM reception or the tab on the navigation screen for XM disappears intermittently*.
If you suspect that the customer has installed aftermarket products of this nature and you suspect that the product may be the cause of the concern, you should ask the customer if any vehicle modifications have been made.
Additionally, if the customers information is not available, you may want to test the navigation and DVD system to see if normally blocked functions are available with the vehicle in DRIVE. Removal of the navigation radio will also allow you to verify if one of these products has been installed.
Warranty Information
Warranty coverage does not extend to problems created by aftermarket devices. Damage to normally covered systems caused by aftermarket products is the responsibility of the customer or the aftermarket installer.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Default Re: Lock Pick

So, my point in this is that I was about to purchase one of these to add a second backup camera to my new cargo carrier. Does anyone have one now and are you experiencing any of the mentioned issues?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:11 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default I knew that would happen

I used to own a 2001 Audi RS4 Avant. Audi came out and specifically stated that ANY aftermarket product would VOID the warranty. They didn't specify what part of the warranty and just made a "generic" statement giving them an out. The Audi was a VERY HIGH performance car but still people wanted to "mod" their cars. There are only a handfull of these cars in the U. S.
Anyway I "was" going to buy one of those...now there is no way I will do it. The audi blanket was challenged by the magnus monson act but I don't know of any cases that were settled in or out of court, and I don't want to be a test case...oh well i'll just sit in the back to watch a movie and make my wife drive!
Thanks for the timely info!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 03:13 AM

Thanks Fjungman

Old 07-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am running a lockpick with no issues.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:29 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default make sure...

you document your install date and..... has it been to the dealership for anything after your install? it might help in court when they void your warranty to say that the notice came out AFTER you installed it and your dealer knew about it.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have been running mine since I bought my 08 Tahoe back in Oct/08. I was frustrated when I couldn't enter destinations while driving and no bluetooth on the 08's. It's also good for the wife to watch DVD's in the front while the kids watch in the back. I haven't had any issues at all. But thanks for that service bulletin since if I do have problems, I will take it out before going in for service. It's plug and play (except for one blue back-up camera wire that connects under the passenger's seat). So you can easily remove it when it is in for service. For me, it's a must have accessory and well worth the money.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast

I have had the lockpic on mine since the weeke the tahoe came out. I was one of the first in Alabama to buy a hybrid. I am running a lockpick and a tellvid5000 bluetooth unit. I havent had any trouble. However, I cant seem to get the electrial whining out of the unit. And if I am watching a DVD in the front it seems to stop working if I change speed 10mph or so.
The whining is only when the bluetooth is active but it is still anoying.
If anyone knows what to do to fix these problems it would greatly be appreciated.

I have purchased 2 things that may help. I just havent had time to try them.

The first was a line level audio adapter for the audio input to the lockpick from the tellvid. the second was a standard noice choke for the power to the tellvid unit.

If someone can confirm they are having these problems and what they did to get rid of the noise it would help greatly...

Attached Thumbnails Lock Pick-photo.jpg  
Old 08-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

I have been running one, with no issues after the initial install- according to the dealer, i left something unplugged causing a fault and a 600 dollar fix. But the vehicle runs fine since that, times 3-4 months.

I also have a Costartech bluetooth/onstar workaround, and it is quirky, but works well when it works. Other than that and the hardwired radar detector off the Lockpick power wire, and the chrome exhaust, my vehicle is BONE Stock!

As for voiding warranties, the burden of proof is on the manufacturer that your mod caused the problem. I had a diesel truck years ago, and put a box on to modify the timing/power. When another component failed, the dealer said it was my box that caused the failure. I told them i would pay for the repairs, but save the parts for me as i would be going to court to contest the warranty handling. About three hours later, Chrysler regional office called and the matter was handled under warranty.

I don't mind paying for what I break, but that mindless "you modded, you broke it" doesn't fly with me. Or the Magnussen-Moss act.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:09 AM

sorry to ask this, but what is a lock pick? whats does it do exactly, where do you buy it from and how much does it cost? can one install it or you need to have a technician do that?
any information on it is appreciated.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lock Pick

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands