Lock Pick

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lock Pick

Originally Posted by txav8r
Ed, it sounds like you have a good working knowledge of the lockpick interface with our system. The Silverado hybrid is not offered with the back up camera as a "factory option" and doesn't come in a standard or higher level package. It was found that I could order the dealer installed option that came with the tailgate handle bezel with the camera installed in it, the rear view mirror with the video screen, and the wiring to install it. My tech told me that the wiring had to be pinned and inserted into existing pin holes in the connectors.

I hate the small screen on the rear view mirror and would like to get it to display on the NAV screen. I can do that with the lockpick but may have to replace the camera with a camera that has RCA leads. I don't like the idea of hacking into existing wiring. I don't mind unclipping a connection and adding software/hardware between the connections. Why are you having to cut the rear view camera wire with the lockpick? The installation diagram may be available on Coastals website but it is for a setup without the camera. I need a suggestion on how to tackle this. Would I be better selling the dealer installed option and going aftermarket or can I alter this? I am living with it the way it is but really, the screen is so small I don't find it useful for my aging eyes! Thanks for any insight you can provide.

You have to cut the wire so that the Lock Pick can control the rear camera.

The lockpick has RCA plugs for an aftermarket camera. But will your system be able to show the video?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

The dealer installed camera does not display on the Nav screen and the wiring doesn't even run to the nav unit. So I don't think even with the lockpick, that I could display the video from the camera on the nav screen. I think I would have to add another camera or, cut the stock wiring for the camera and install RCA jacks on the wiring to connect it. To much I think...I hate the idea of messing with a factory harness.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mel if you have the same Nav screen system as the Tahoes then maybe it is a software issue. When I first received my Tahoe the Nav disc was the old software version. When I installed the new Nav disc my Traffic option started to work and boy that has been a great feature for me when I am in the toronto area. When there is traffic on my route I get a pop-up display much like TCAS that alerts me to where the traffic is and an alternate route selection.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ken, are you talking about xm traffic? I have xm traffic but have not really liked the presentation in the truck. I have traffic info on my iphone free and it just changes the color of roads that are having an issue but doesn't give note of the cause. I had a Garmin that would give the source of the problem as well but on this unit, I am only getting the xm info and it doesn't show well to me. Let me add however, that living out in the country and only driving into Dallas every now and then doesn't give me much experience so far. I am running NAV DVD software version 5.0c in the truck, is that the latest?

Also thanks Ken...the issue with the Backup Camera seems to be a factory thing. I was told at the dealer when I ordered my truck, that the camera was only available as a dealer installed option using the smaller video screen on the rear view mirror. They specifically called to verify it was not available as a factory option. So they ran the new cable from the tailgate to the rear view mirror and not to the NAV screen. I asked them if they could just hook it in there but they told me no. I don't get it. If it is the same system and NAV setup as the Tahoe/Yukon, then why couldn't this have been done with the $600 option instead of the $971 option. Either way it is overpriced but I wanted the factory setup and now I regret it.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Mel,
I like in the country also and the XM traffic shows very little, however when I go to Toronto it is amazing with pop-up details and voice advisory. Looks like it is a lot better in the larger cities. I cannot imagine GM making different Nav display for all the vehicles, saying that though I know that the Cadillac has more features and a three dimensional building display for the large cities. I also think that they may have the ipod interface. When you go to the GM Nav database web site you will see that the Cadillacs have a different software. My guess is these units are all software driven for features. I will talk with the data base side of GM and see what I can figure out.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Ken,
I spoke with both the GM NavData division and also my Parts/Service Mgr today. I have version 5.0c of Part No. 2086173. When I talked to GM, they said that was a 2008 version in my 2009 truck. But when my Parts Mgr. called back, he said he had been on the phone to them for almost an hour and the foul up was I had the latest disc and it showed to be a 2010 version that was not even released yet...who do you believe? If I go to the GM Nav data website, I can only put in year, make, and model as Silverado. The Parts Mgr. tells me he has a different part number for almost every vehicle even though the Nav unit and controls look the same.

I was down in Plano today and got several warnings about construction on the NAV. I am glad you clarified that your traffic was xm driven. I was thinking that your update gave you something I didn't have. And yes, the CTS system is different and has more function I think but still blocks the Nav Destination page while moving!

Anyway, thanks for the info and it looks like I have the latest update.

Mel

Old 04-24-2014, 06:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'd like to know as well.
I want to watch my trailer while pulling it and I want to Put in a dresses while moving as well as my wife wants to watch movies while I drive without sitting in the back.
Ease advice.i own a 08 yukon.hybrid

Old 04-24-2014, 06:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry auto spell is a funny thing

Old 04-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimr5454
I'd like to know as well.
I want to watch my trailer while pulling it and I want to Put in a dresses while moving as well as my wife wants to watch movies while I drive without sitting in the back.
Ease advice.i own a 08 yukon.hybrid
Thats exactly what the lockpick does. And I have used it the way you described.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert

Thats exactly what the lockpick does. And I have used it the way you described.
I'm not sure if the Tahoe or Yukon have a Nav screen that says ICE vs EV. Does the lock pick affect it? I wanted to install it as well but not sure if its worth the headache. I know that you can install front, side and rear cameras using the lock pick as well as watch movies in front. I already have the DVD for the kids at the back hence my reluctance.

Quick Reply: Lock Pick

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands