magnetic ride control

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Administrator
Default magnetic ride control

how does it work? is it the electric linkage on top of each strut/shocks and translated to the computer/sensor? the rear air shock is just for leveling? what would be a good mod for the suspension in terms of handling? like the Tahoe PPV? or the MRC takes control of it? without cutting the springs, can I adjust the rear height sensors to lower the vehicle? thanks!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:56 PM
aka soulsea
Default Re: magnetic ride control

Hi evois,

Not exactly sure how it works on the magnetic ride, but on the regular rear autoride it has little links that activate the pump when they get squeezed beyond a certain point.

A very common handling mod is lowering the truck, either front and rear or simply by dropping the rear about two inches to level it with the front. Then you can also add a stronger rear sway bar and more performance oriented shocks. On the autoride trucks these lowering kits come with shorter autoride links to trick the sensors into not airing up.

I had a 2/3 drop on the (non-autoride) HyHoe when I first got her and the handling was indeed superior ... however with better handling came increased ride stiffness and less comfort.

---------

Oh and you can slightly increase cornering ability by switching to 305/40/22 tires (that's what I have on mine) ... believe it or not it actually makes a discernible difference. But the stiffer sidewalls also affect ride quality over poor road surfaces.

Last edited by HyHoe; 07-21-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: syntax catastrophe
Old 07-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Administrator

I guess the magnetic ride control softens the shocks during low speed and stiffens it when driven aggressively. I try to baby the escalade in bumps by driving it slow and would notice it but not when I drive fast. scratches head?

Old 07-21-2012, 07:23 PM
aka soulsea

Well, as you are well aware my mechanical knowledge is exasperatingly poor ... where the heck is H_H anyway to explain stuff to us?

But I do know that no matter what bells and whistles one may add to a truck with a solid rear axle, ride quality/handling (not to mention 3rd row seating) is going to suffer. However should one do any towing or find themselves in a serious off road situation, that SRA is the preferred configuration.

So that all that about magnetic ride control ... I helped!

Last edited by HyHoe; 07-21-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: extra words that I have no idea why they were there in the first place were taken out
Old 07-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You guys crack me up. HyHoe has the air adjustable Auto Ride pegged links and all. From what I know there are two kinds of shock absorbers with wires attached on top. Older ones that would turn a damping valve on or off inside and give you basically two levels of damping. High/Low so to speak. Then the relatively new MRF Magnetorheological fluid. The MRF is cool.

MRF in shocks is an oil with magnetizable particles in it. By creating a magnetic field the fluid "stiffens" so to speak or actually the working viscosity changes.

Two wires simply go to an electro-magnet. By adjusting the amps to the electro-magnet the damping ability of the fluid is adjusted. More amps, more stiffness. Cut the amps and it goes back to simply oil.

So if your controller to the shock is fast enough and the controls smart enough, you can have almost infinite damping levels available and even change on the way up or way down.

I'm just waiting for some low rider to mate this technology with a rail gun and hop over buildings.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:26 AM
aka soulsea

This is the 2' rear drop kit (for autoride) I bought to level the rear of the Denali.

Name:  6ef537cf.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  3.93 MB

It comes with the springs, shock extenders, 1" spacer because it's a 3" drop without it, autoride links, bumpstops, and associated hardware.

Something like this would certainly improve the cornering capabilities of the HyLade.

I actually never installed it cause it was vetoed by the mrs.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I didn't level the rear on my K2500, I gave the torsion bars in the front a few more turns just before I put the taller Mud Terrains and font alignment on it. Stock with the Autoride it always had its butt in the air.

Had a cat like that once.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Administrator

left my slade in FL and driving my honda pilot for the cross country tour. boy, do I miss the mrc of the hybrid. it is night and day.