Mostly better, but still not enough time in AutoStop

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mostly better, but still not enough time in AutoStop

After about two and a half trouble free weeks, the codes and jerking started up again. I bought a brand new 770 CCA 48/7yr from the dealership. Kept the old. Cleaned the terminals chemically then mechanically. We'll see if that changes anything.

How hard is it to get to the aux transmission control connector? Would like to spay some connector cleanser on it.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

If that is the module right under the battery, then it is easy to get to.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Under the Hybrid battery?

I'm about to throw a freakin' FIT. I bought a brand new 12v battery after the car stalled again. But this morning, with the new battery, same **** two codes! I'm really getting aggravated that NO ONE can definitively correct this. If the TCM is under the hybrid battery, how do I get to it? What other electrical connections can I even check?

Last edited by tiktok4321; 08-06-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast

No - sorry, the 12v battery. I had my TCM replaced last summer, for other reasons.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

How do you get to it? Under the battery is the battery plate. Remove that?

Old 08-08-2017, 07:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I think I may have found the issue. Maybe. I found two disconnect plugs between the battery and the engine block. I couldn't really identify which went where, but I was able to notice that both showed a little orange grommet peeking out from between the connector shells. I disconnected both and cleaned with battery terminal cleaner, followed by an electrical contact cleaner, then let dry. The one that I think was connected to the Hydraulic Control Unit (not the TCU, which I believe is IN the tranny, with the connector under the car) had a bit of moisture when I disconnected it. Possibly poorly connected and allowed moisture to get in. Anyway, after hooking it up again, it seems to be running smooth. I think I got about 30 seconds of Auto Stop with the lights and AC on. After about 10 minutes of charging, I turned the lights and AC off. It lasted 5 minutes but then it got too hot inside for me (84 degrees at 9 PM) so I turned on the AC and the engine kicked in immediately. Anyway, I'll see how things go over the next couple of weeks.

BTW, the M4 plan is a GREAT way to disable the battery. I've instructed my wife to immediately use M4 if she feels the vehicle shudder or shake to avoid a shut down in the middle of an intersection.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast

Here is the TCU (I believe) and it's under the 12v battery and the small fuse box.

Name:  IlpRI8p.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  503 Bytes

Here is the wiring (TCU to the left out of sight). I have the new wiring harness as I had this replaced due to the weird braking issue others have complained about (like not stopping)

Name:  HK3M4E1.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  503 Bytes

Old 08-08-2017, 07:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dawgfan1606
Here is the TCU (I believe) and it's under the 12v battery and the small fuse box.

Here is the wiring (TCU to the left out of sight). I have the new wiring harness as I had this replaced due to the weird braking issue others have complained about (like not stopping)
My wife experienced loss of braking for the first time before I did my cleaning. I'll try to find the one you're describing, but I don't see any images (work PC Blockade).

Old 08-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Dang it! As soon as I posted this, get text from wife that Check Engine Light came on. Grrr.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

30-60 seconds of ICE-off is low with A/C use. I suspect a very weak HV battery. Unless you have other significant accessories running, 5 minutes is very low. My Prius will sit in ready mode for 30-45 minutes before the ICE cycles, and my pack is a bit of a turd. This is from "neutral" where the battery is about 60% SoC. I would expect at least 20-30 minutes from a reasonably healthy battery in your vehicle.

Last edited by S Keith; 08-08-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Mostly better, but still not enough time in AutoStop

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands