New battery installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New battery installed

So - if your main concern about a Greenbean battery is that reconditioned cells don't have a reliable life, what would be wrong with replacing all modules with BRAND NEW ones at once, at say $50 each?

IE: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hybrid-Batt...dZ~bAp&vxp=mtr

Disregard. These are advertised as "New" reconditioned batteries. How much can BRAND NEW modules cost?

Last edited by tiktok4321; 11-18-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

First, there are 40 modules in the GM pack not 20. Second, that seller only has 3. Third, I have purchased half a dozen modules on eBay. I have never received a good one that meets my standards.

New modules can only be obtained by purchasing new whole batteries from Toyota, Lexus Nissan or GM.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah - I realized that and tried to edit before you got to it. Amazon, $38 x 40 = $1500ish. And, still, the same reliability as a GreenBean.

Sorry - got all caught up over the 'new'. That's really false advertising and all HV Hybrid modules should be sold as Refurbished.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:25 AM

I reported the auction as a fraudulent listing.

I would speculate they are likely worse than GreenBean. They only give voltage and load test criteria (that they likely don't even meet). Even a module with very low capacity can meet those requirements if the goal is to meet those requirements.

At least GreenBean is trying even if they're using sub-optimal equipment and practices.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't want this to come across as crass in any way, but what is it that YOU do with batteries? Do you refurbish them? Does your processes carry the same expectancy you afford others? I'm not trying to be a snot or anything. I KNOW you are an expert - particularly with the Panasonic modules. Just curious how you revenue your talent.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:22 AM

LOL... if you haven't gathered my level of (in)sensitivity by my typical forum response, I assure you... I don't think I can even recognize crass or snotty if it bit me in the a$$.

I sell refurbished batteries in my area with 18 month non-pro-rated warranties for less than 30% the price of Toyota new. My goal with every build is to assemble a battery that I believe has a 3-4 year potential life based on response to reconditioning and my standards. On average, I replace 20% of a pack because it doesn't meet my standards.

To give you an idea of what I regard as necessary to properly recondition a battery, I have 12-16 hours of touch-time wrapped into each battery.

I have sold approximately 110 in the last 20 months. I have had 3 returns due to leaks, which is a chronic problem, which is almost unique to the Phoenix climate.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Awesome. I know that there are a LOT of Prius modules out there, and there is a ton of opportunity to fix packs without replacing the full unit. So long as the price is right, and the expectations are reasonable, I hope you continue to prosper - and share.

My frustration is the relative low number of Chevys out there with the Hybrid system, and the dealership's complete ineptitude in properly diagnosing. As mentioned in other threads, GM seems to have intentionally set the threshold for failure so high that the vehicle experiences the symptoms of battery pack failure LONG before codes start appearing. In a sense, it's nice to know that you won't typically be stranded on the side of a lonely highway when a single cell decides to go rogue. But to make it so undetectable that the "experts" on a local level can't handle the situation is, in fact, a tragedy.

I hate to think about how many 08-09 Tahoes, Denalis and Escalades there are out there with the prone to fail AFM and reaching battery life. Most of these in the resale market are typically immaculate inside. Unfortunately, they'd need to sell for around $8000 to make a refurb financially viable.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:12 PM

While I don't have any specific knowledge about how the GMs manage the battery, it appears to do so relatively poorly regardless of the symptom vs. code issue to which you refer.

The performance of the few batteries I've seen with posted log data are something of a crime scene indicating a widespread deterioration of capacity without cell failure - this is the worst case for repairs and almost always mandates complete replacement for any reasonable expectation of reliability. Cooling may be a contributing factor.

I can't find production numbers, but I think the hybrids are relatively rare. I did find that only 533 2012 Tahoe hybrids were sold vs. 70,000 of the regular. Escalade +Yukon hybrids totaled 1,200 vs. 40,000 of the non-hybrids.

Many callers have indicated that the dealer says, "I've never seen one of these before."

I would speculate that you're dealing with a "specialty" vehicle for which there is little training and even less actual experience. As we're near the 10 year mark, failures are going to be more common, and dealers will be forced to learn something.

I hope Hillbilly chimes in...

Old 11-20-2017, 07:02 PM
Administrator

As a point of reference, ELR certified cadillac dealers are escalade hybrid literate. That also goes to the volt and bolt dealers.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Good info I am considering a Tahoe hybrid!

Quick Reply: New battery installed

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands