Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   New battery installed (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/new-battery-installed-31367/)

DJWorm 10-19-2017 07:28 PM

New battery installed

2008 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid:
- At 100,000 "Service Hybrid System" message. Dealer said I needed new battery. I told him to clear codes and kept driving.
- Same thing happened at 200,000 miles. Dealer again confirmed I needed a new battery and quoted $4,000.00+
- Now at 203,000 miles had 2 unexpected shut offs with immediate restart. "Service Hybrid System" message again.
- Researched suppliers and debated to DIY, new or reconditioned. Most suppliers wanted between $2,100 - $3,200 plus $1,000 core charge, plus shipping or installation @ $250 + tax. 1-2 year warranty.
- Decided on Green Bean Hybrid. $2,349 including tax and installation in my drive-way. Called Tuesday. Installed this AM (Thursday) Took 1:15. Prompt efficient & courteous. 5-year pro-rated warranty on a reconditioned battery. Paid with Credit card after installation. He also analyzed and cleared all codes relating to the Hybrid System. No need to reprogram.

Highly recommend Green Bean Hybrid. They are out of Raleigh NC. I live in Erie, PA.

S Keith 10-19-2017 08:39 PM

Re: New battery installed

Please keep us informed. Greenbean appears to only have been doing this for about 7 months. Reconditioned batteries just don't last much more than 3-4 years unless you're buying low mileage salvage packs and just dropping them in.

Good luck!

tiktok4321 11-05-2017 03:13 PM

They offer a five year warranty.

S Keith 11-05-2017 03:18 PM

No, they offer a pro-rated 5 year warranty... again... only in business about 9 months (I was off by two months previously).

If you understand what you're looking at in the material they present, you can figure out what equipment they're using, and the criteria they are applying. I would not trust that equipment, nor would I apply such sloppy criteria.

The only positive is that they appear to be doing SOMETHING, which is more than so many "experts" that just replace modules based on voltage alone.

I can guarantee you that unless he is installing low mileage salvage yard packs, he is going to have a near 100% warranty rate.

I'll be surprised if he's still in business 4.25 years from now.

tiktok4321 11-05-2017 03:47 PM

Their pro-rated warranty, for all to see... Granted, pretty worthless after 36 months...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...8e631fee6.jpeg

S Keith 11-05-2017 04:13 PM

When determining value, one should count on a failure in the 1.5-3 year timeframe. At this point you will have paid 150% of the price of a battery. In the case of the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade, that would put the price at $3,523, which is I believe more than a new one.

The typical reconditioned battery has 8+ years, 100-200K miles already on it (since they're out of warranty). Even if you recondition to a "like new" state of health, there is still damage. It's absurd to expect "like new" life out of them. 3-4 years is about all you can hope for given their age and wear.

5 years is a gimmick as the dive into the warranty details provides. It's essentially an 18 month warranty. It's structured that way because they know they'll never build a battery that makes it 5 years, but they get to advertise it and sell at a premium. They'll probably do very well the first 3 years. Then things will grind to a halt as they have so many warranty returns, they can't fill them and still sell new packs.

tiktok4321 11-06-2017 03:48 AM

You use the words "sell at a premium". But can you find me a better value? I have found what is allegedly a new pack for around $2800. Plus a $1000 core (plots shipping). If it's no big deal to swap out myself, or even if it costs me $500 to install, that may be a better path?

S Keith 11-06-2017 05:31 AM

You're missing my point. Full price at the dealership for a new battery is a better VALUE. You're likely paying $3500+ (best case) for 5 years worth of a reconditioned battery where you're likely to get 8+ years/100K miles out of a new one.

tiktok4321 11-06-2017 06:37 AM

No. Not really missing the point here. The so called experts (dealerships) can't even find the part number for this. All alternative part numbers are not available, no ETA.

So now what?

S Keith 11-06-2017 08:06 AM

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...tml#post262022