Are the New GM SUV Hybrids Worth the Money?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Are the New GM SUV Hybrids Worth the Money?

I’m looking to purchase a few GM Hybrid SUV’s and wanted to really know if they are worth it as I will be shipping them to Africa and wish not to have a lot of mechanical issues.
Secondly, are there any plans for GM to introduce the XL Hybrid models in ’13?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Are the New GM SUV Hybrids Worth the Money?

If the gas prices in Africa or anywhere else in the world is more expensive than the US, it is worth the Price. It is very reliable.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for your quick response.
The average price per gallon is approx. $4.65 to 5.00.
Have you any information GM's 2013 SUV's as to whether they will offer the Hybrid in the Surburban or the XL GM or Cadillac?

Old 09-05-2012, 06:23 PM
aka soulsea

A Tahoe Hybrid is about the same prize as a non-hybrid Tahoe LTZ ... it is both more fuel efficient and more powerful than the LTZ and has all the same options, so yes in my opinion it is worth the money.

However, although very reliable vehicles, even a lot of US Chevy dealer's service centers struggle with their familiarity of the hybrid drivetrain ... half the time they themselves don't know/understand what a hybrid related issue may be and have to figure it out as they go. This is going to be a much bigger problem if you're shipping to Africa. The issue isn't that they are unreliable, it is that by definition, machines sooner or later fail ... finding someone abroad familiar with how to fix it when it does seems a high risk proposition.

And no, they will not make a long wheel base version of the hybrids in 2013. 13 is the last year of these trucks' generation with the new design coming out in 14. It seems that GM is dropping the hybrids from its full size truck and SUV lines altogether after 2013, with perhaps the exception of the short wheel base Escalade Hybrid.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 PM
aka soulsea

Btw, Africa being a rather large continent, levels of GM service may vary between Uganda, Tunisia, South Africa, or Burkina Faso.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

Good know that GM large SUV are being redesigned in '14, so I there no need to purchase a new one. You have answer my concern about serviceability, I will not purchase the hybrid.