New to Me 08 Tahoe Hybrid - Issues already ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New to Me 08 Tahoe Hybrid - Issues already ...

"Fart cannon" my soda just came out my nose Jet.

That's funny. Here in south east Michigan they have those O'rilleys blue headlight bulbs. the neighbor's kid says "blue headlights means I want to race." So the other night coming home from a Tigers ball game I showed the blue lighted fart cannon a 50 mph punch. I was caught in traffic and held the shifter in "M". Manual forces the engine on and I can run the HV battery up to a very high state of charge. Then when traffic cleared I nailed the 330 hp engine and had about 10 seconds of 50 hp electric boost.

Left the blue fart cannon well behind.

LoL

Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hey Marty,
Any reason why you go into M mode in traffic? whats the advantage other than forcing to charge the battery? dose it affect the fuel consumption much? do you recommend to do that in heavy slow traffic?

Did you kick the gas pedal down all the way, or you started light footed in order to take advantage of the 50HP electrica boost , and then you pushed the pedal all the way down?

Just wondering what's the best way to get the most out of the electric motor when taking off.

The Blue Fart cannon now knows for sure not to mess with a 2 mode hybrid

Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Guss; the use of "M" or manual keeps the engine running. It is a "trick" to force the battery to the upper limits of it's charge capacity.

It wastes fuel!

However, when stuck in 1 lane of a 4 lane interstate for construction with the blue light special on your rear, eventually you break free into the 4 lanes again.

So for the long wait in traffic with the annoyance on my six, I did not let it auto-stop. I chose to waste fuel in order to have an artificially high amount of battery energy available.

When traffic broke free of the one lane and all four were available I just put my foot about 85% of the way down. The 2008 has a terrible full throttle upshift and I needed to teach this guy. The newer 2 modes have that upshift fixed.

But for the originals 85% works better than 100% .

Since the hybrid senses extra available energy, it will use more battery longer in the acceleration. But just for a short time.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks Marty for clarification

what do you mean by full throttle upshift ?