Newbie ?'s 2013 Tahoe Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 05:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default Newbie ?'s 2013 Tahoe Hybrid

Hey everyone I just picked up a new to me 2013 Tahoe Hybrid, and we are very excited about it. Issue is on my low Firefighter salary and with 3 small children the budget was low. It's a single business owner commercially run vehicle with 107,000 miles . The nice thing is it has had every service performed at the selling dealer, and I am talking everything. It was scheduled for auction but I picked it up first so I got it at a very good price.

I need to do a search, but does Chevy offer a direct waranty that's worth a darn? The dealer tried to sell me a Costguard warranty and I passed on it. I'm not a big fan of warranties, but then again I have never purchased a vehicle with 100k before. I am a bit apprehensive about the miles, but all the research I did said newer even with more miles as long as it's well maintained is a better buy than older with low miles.

I'm excited but I hope I made the right choice. Any thing else I need to look for or be aware of besides your normal maintenance? Most vehicles have a few hidden issues. Anyway thanks in advance, have a great weekend and be safe. Rye.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbie ?'s 2013 Tahoe Hybrid

OH and I purchased an 08 Tahoe hybrid brand new in 08 and loved it, but with the housing market crash I had to sell it. IIRC it averaged 20mpg and was estimated 20/21 for 4x4, my 13 from all I can tell is exactly the same but rated 21/23. What changed?

I can tell you my drive home was 30 miles hwy and when I pulled in the drive the lie o meter was at 25.0mpg. I know it's way to small a sample group but it seems this newer one might get even better mileage than my 08, insane for a very large heavy 4x4 SUV.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The later 2-Modes made better use of the LZ1 engine changes and use V-4 more efficiently.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:33 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you sir, I'll search around for more detail.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:58 AM
Enthusiast

I think I'm just going to keep the cash in my pocket and hope for the best. It does have 107k but it has had all the maintenance done, synthetic oil, and being its a 2013 it's still pretty new age wise.

The only big issues I have read about is clogged oil screens wiping out engines, not sure if they made a change in the later models but it seems a high quality synthetic oil can help with the issue to some degree.

We only put about 9k a year on our family ride anyway, so I'm hoping for many trouble free years to come. Love this thing so far!

Old 10-21-2015, 07:12 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
The later 2-Modes made better use of the LZ1 engine changes and use V-4 more efficiently.
DO you know the extent of the changes? Are they programming related or physical like a different kind of timing chain etc..

I'd like to look into keeping me in V4 a little more often. I installed a K&N and it seems that it's doing a little better on the highway but its anecdotal.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Think about the K&N. Closed loop fuel controls are just that. More airneeds more fuel. Wide open is normally open loop fuel and that is usually alittle rich just in case to be safe. That's wheere the K&N pwerformance shows up.

The LZ1 has parts that are different to be more common withnon-hybrid and tuning changes that result in better overall fuel economy.

Depending on how you drive, your V-4 time should be abouthalf of your total driving time. That’sway more than the non-hybrid will ever do.

Acceleration and deceleration rates are the key here. Stomping on the gas means more time inopen-loop fuel and less battery assist. Jamming on the brakes and you exceed electrical power limits and justmake HOT brake pads. Driven correctly brakepads will go over 150k miles.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
Think about the K&N. Closed loop fuel controls are just that. More airneeds more fuel. Wide open is normally open loop fuel and that is usually alittle rich just in case to be safe. That's wheere the K&N pwerformance shows up.

The LZ1 has parts that are different to be more common withnon-hybrid and tuning changes that result in better overall fuel economy.

Depending on how you drive, your V-4 time should be abouthalf of your total driving time. That’sway more than the non-hybrid will ever do.

Acceleration and deceleration rates are the key here. Stomping on the gas means more time inopen-loop fuel and less battery assist. Jamming on the brakes and you exceed electrical power limits and justmake HOT brake pads. Driven correctly brakepads will go over 150k miles.
What hillbilly said. My brake pads lasted 133k miles with pad thickness left and I replaced it because I just wanted the peace of mind since we travel cross country a lot. If synthetic was used since break in oil, I think the oil screen is a non issue. I had 195k miles when I traded it for the 2015 platinum.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:42 PM
Enthusiast

I am new on the forum and should be posting a question, but don't know how. I have a 2013 Silverado and it is great except it will not run in EV mode as the specs say it will. With very light gas pedal on flat ground, it turns on the engine at 5 to 10 mph, not 30 mph as claimed. The dealer's mechanic insists that nothing is wrong. The city gas mileage is 16 mpg rather than the 20 mpg claimed. Any knowledge on this is welcome.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Nothing is wrong! Your lead foot triggers the ICE more than EV. Try to practice more this new way of driving. Remember you're driving a behemoth not a Prius.

Quick Reply: Newbie ?'s 2013 Tahoe Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands