Oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil changes

Jet 1 I agree I am the same way with my vehicles as I am with the aircraft.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast

I changed the oil on your 2009 yukon hirbrid because you did not have time to go the dealer and the oil life warning is still showing the same percentage
Can anyone help with instructions of how you would reset it?
I also saw you guys mention you use synthetic oil. When i asked the dealership when i had it down there they said i could use regular. Should i be using synthetic?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:31 AM

For the do it yourself oil change you can switch the key to Run (don't start it) push the gas pedal to the floor kind of quickly 3 times.

This "rain dance" should also be in the owners manual.

I use synthetic in my engine to help squeeze out an extra little mpg. But I only buy it when it goes on sale at one of those big chain auto parts.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Administrator

I use full synthetic mobil 1 5w/30 extended performance. I used synthetic in my 2003 honda pilot since it was new and up to now at 176k miles it still purrs like it was new. no lifter tick or odd noises at all. mileage interval for the pilot was every 7500 up until 100k then changed it to every 14k-15k mile interval using the "extended performance M1." I noticed the advantages of the EP vs mobil 1 synthetic since I have a turbo 2.0 L evo 9 MR and after 3k miles the oil using M1 looked dark and burned. after using the EP, the M1 oil still looked fresh. for the escalade, the 3k or 5k mile interval is too much, hence relying on the DIC monitor which has been every 7.5k miles.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

1. Turn the ignition to ON, with the engine OFF.
2. Press the MODE button until the DIC reads OIL LIFE LEFT/HOLD SET TO RESET.
3. Press and hold the SET button until 100 percent is displayed. You will hear three chimes and the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message will go off.
4. Turn the key to OFF. If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes back on when you start the vehicle, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

The "set" button is the one that looks like a check-mark.

The gas-pedal method is only if you are DIC-less. No offense Marty...

Old 03-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by fjungman
1. Turn the ignition to ON, with the engine OFF.
2. Press the MODE button until the DIC reads OIL LIFE LEFT/HOLD SET TO RESET.
3. Press and hold the SET button until 100 percent is displayed. You will hear three chimes and the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message will go off.
4. Turn the key to OFF. If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes back on when you start the vehicle, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

The "set" button is the one that looks like a check-mark.

The gas-pedal method is only if you are DIC-less. No offense Marty...
this should be a sticky! I never get the "change the oil soon" because I change the oil when there is 25% left and I am past 7500 miles already.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot guys. I have to start taking better care of her. Just so many things going on I just have not had the opportunity to get it done at the dealer and I was afraid to do it any place else.

Thanks fjungman it worked.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Unless something has changed on the hybrids vs the previous trucks, the oil change interval is approximately 7500 miles. I say approximately because there are variables that the vehicle takes into consideration. You driving conditions are monitored and if you drive in dusty, hilly, or do much towing, then the monitor may have you change your oil more frequently. My 2000 Z-71 would vary my oil change by as much as 2000 miles based on the conditions the vehicle was exposed to during the period. My only complaint is that I used to use the oil change for tire rotation and it is a moving target so that doesn't work this way.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:10 PM

I do look at the DIC for the percentage of Oil life left. However I guess I am old school I use Castoroil Synthetic and change every 5,000 KM.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

I used to but really felt I was wasting it since the book says 7500 miles. Also, like I mentioned, the monitor will let you know if your driving habits have decreased that. Hi Ken.

Quick Reply: Oil changes

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands