Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast
Default Oil Leak

I've found a pool of oil under my 08 Tahoe Hybrid. I don't know what type of oil it is or where it is coming from. The oil is a dark brown and doesn't smell like engine oil. Tranny fluid is red (from dip stick) so probably not tranny leak. Appears to be dripping from rear left side of engine.

Any feedback on where this might be coming from ? Vehicle has 41,000 miles on it and still under 48 month/48,000 mile warranty, or 100,000 drive train warranty so should be covered.... Trying to collect info so I don't get some snow job from dealership service dept. Appreciate any feedback....

Old 06-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Leak

Is this a "one-time" event? If there is a leak through a casting (porosity) it would be slow and steady. Porosity leaks usually show up first as a dark dirt collecting spot.

An acute failure of a gasket or seal will usually continue to leak and that "pool" will grow.

The left rear is the oil filter area. If oil was splashed onto the block or frame during a very recent oil change, it could make a pool later. However this would be a "one-time" event.

Anything serious will be covered.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Oil Leak

it can be due to porosity of the engine block from its build in mexico. I noticed it as an oil filter leak at 2500 on my first oil change and ignored it as there were no driveability issues nor engine oil loss. at 8k miles noted the oil pan leak coming back after a thorough washing of the vehicle both top and bottom. dealer did a dye test which was useless since they want to tear up the whole engine, drivetrain, 4wd system and tranny anyway, just because they don't have a probe instrument to check if the leak is coming from the rear main oil seal from the peep holes on both side covers. not worth the trouble and and several thousand miles, cross country travels, spirited driving, not a major effect in oil consumption. have accepted it and the dealer visit just guarantees me a free repair service just in case it went out of warranty which is moot since I also bought the extended bumper to bumper gmpp

for a non-hybrid, it should be an easy fix. but a hybrid with all the wires and electronics associated with the two mode hybrid, even NASA is doomed to mess up. leave it alone but report it to the dealer.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...an-leak-25139/