P1AEF and climate control

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default P1AEF and climate control

Just had a couple things occur on my 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid. Wondering if anyone else has seen this? Pulling away from a gas pump, in a hurry to pick up Uber passenger, I slammed the selector into Manual position and hit the accelerator. The vehicle died completely and threw a code and check engine light. It would not restart and would not move. Fortunately I have a OBII reader and use Torque so was able to see the code as P1AEF which is code for the Hybrid Module. I tried to clear the code with the key on and it would not clear. I tried to start several times and it wouldn't. I started making arrangements to get the car moved and shut the key off. While it was off I attempted to clear the code and it cleared. It then started without further issues. The next day I get in and start to drive and notice I have no display on my climate control. I did have auto functioning because it did warm up, but had no control and a black display. I shut the key off and on and still no display. I went into my appointment and when I came back out and started the display was back on. Anyone see that before? Are these an indication that something is about to fail? I can monitor all my batteries, temperatures, and loads and only see what could be a high temperature on the battery pack. It was 60 degrees outside, but I was showing 98 degrees on battery pack with normal in city driving. Isn't that a little high? Where is the filter so I can check it?

Old 10-19-2018, 10:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: P1AEF and climate control

The P1AEF and the display are in no way connected. If that P1AEF comes back there could be a 3-phase issue on that drive motor. Possibly checking/cleaning the ring terminal connection inside the main hybrid box under-hood.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 10-19-2018 at 10:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-20-2018, 09:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: P1AEF and climate control

1. Weak 12v battery. Because the 12V battery is not used to start the engine, it can be garbage for quite a while before you notice it, the computer system is very sensitive to a weak 12v battery.

2. After 10 years and 185K miles I have realized the Computer on the Hybrid can become "confused" easily. Quick, multiple, contradicting inputs from any of the dozens of sensors can "Confuse" the computer. Giving it time to "Catch up" and/or turning it off/on almost always resolves the issue.