post if you have 100k miles in your GM hybrid and what issues you had to get there!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 06:35 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: post if you have 100k miles in your GM hybrid and what issues you had to get ther

Originally Posted by Nashoba
Just turned over to 140,401 this last fill up. Averaging 20.1 mpg on the computer but getting between 21.0 and 23.5 by actual checking, depending on the mix of city and hwy driving my wife does. No problems in the last 10K except for the Nav/radio/back up camera screen,,,which seems to be failing. It works like new for a week and then craps out half the time the next week. Everything still works, apparently, except there is nothing on the screen. My wife really depends on the back up camera so I will take it to the dealership next week while she is out of school to see what they can do about it. Don't want to spend a lot on it but don't want her to back into anything either. We shall see.
​​​​​​Very interested to know what they say. I'm having the exact same issue with no help from the Chevy forum community...

Old 12-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: post if you have 100k miles in your GM hybrid and what issues you had to get ther

I'll let you know, tiktok, next week. It goes to the dealership Wednesday morning at 10:30.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast

09 4wd sierra with 172k. Had it almost 4 years. The truck has been slammed with 6/8 drop and leveled a few times over the years. Only mechanical issues I've had is auxiliary trans pump and oil pressure sensor.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:45 PM
Enthusiast

Tiktok4321, Just got my truck back from the dealership. They had it for two days checking it out. They found 33 codes thrown for low power/voltage so they figured that was the issue with the radio/nav/backup camera screen not working consistently. They traced it down to a dead cell in the battery or a positive post leak (whatever that is). So, as it was still part of the information screen issue, I told them to go ahead and put a new battery in it. They also cleaned the positive cable which had some buildup on the cable away from the terminal and clamp. I knew there was not around the post and clamp as I always keep that clean and use dielectric gel on that to keep the corrosion away. Anyway they cleared all the low power codes and reset everything and said all was well. So I paid my $286.00 and left. The screen worked till I stopped to fill up and when I started the truck, no screen. I drove on home and tried it a couple of time again and no joy. So back to the dealership where they ran the diagnostics again. No codes were thrown and everything looked good, except for no screen. So they say it is the total information/radio/nav/backup camera unit which is all in one and has to be replaced. Only $2084.00. Guess what? I declined. I will let the wife drive it a couple of weeks to see if anything good happens or if it continues to fail. Then I don't know what I will do. Depends on how unhappy the wife is, I guess. Was offered only $8K trade in for it in August so it does not make sense to pay $2K for a radio/nav/backup camera to me. I will check on Ebay and see what I can find.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nashoba
Tiktok4321, Just got my truck back from the dealership. They had it for two days checking it out. They found 33 codes thrown for low power/voltage so they figured that was the issue with the radio/nav/backup camera screen not working consistently. They traced it down to a dead cell in the battery or a positive post leak (whatever that is). So, as it was still part of the information screen issue, I told them to go ahead and put a new battery in it. They also cleaned the positive cable which had some buildup on the cable away from the terminal and clamp. I knew there was not around the post and clamp as I always keep that clean and use dielectric gel on that to keep the corrosion away. Anyway they cleared all the low power codes and reset everything and said all was well. So I paid my $286.00 and left. The screen worked till I stopped to fill up and when I started the truck, no screen. I drove on home and tried it a couple of time again and no joy. So back to the dealership where they ran the diagnostics again. No codes were thrown and everything looked good, except for no screen. So they say it is the total information/radio/nav/backup camera unit which is all in one and has to be replaced. Only $2084.00. Guess what? I declined. I will let the wife drive it a couple of weeks to see if anything good happens or if it continues to fail. Then I don't know what I will do. Depends on how unhappy the wife is, I guess. Was offered only $8K trade in for it in August so it does not make sense to pay $2K for a radio/nav/backup camera to me. I will check on Ebay and see what I can find.
Wow. Sorry to hear that. From what I've seen, an aftermarket stereo that can handle everything (steering wheel controls, back up cam, onstar, etc., EXCEPT Hybrid info screen) can run around $1400 with all the adapters, harnesses, etc.

There is a company in Dallas that alleges they can fix any head unit for around $300. I'll call them and see if they've worked on these.

Just called them and they can't fix it. They have several units for sale though, for $556 + 25 s/h. 214-575-5132, Original Car Audio.

Last edited by tiktok4321; 01-08-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

2009 Tahoe Hybrid with approx 197k miles. Bought about a month ago with a little less than 196. Just did the following: Passenger side front wheel bearing/New rear window to fix the rear defogger/ had to add a quart of M1 5w30 synthetic engine oil/ cleaned the hybrid battery area and screens plus trimmed the wetahertech floor liner that was blocking inlet air. Looks like it used about a quart of oil over the last 1200 miles. Saw a couple of forums where the 6.0 FLA engine has a bad drivers side valve cover and may need to be changed to an upgraded valve cover with a different baffle so the PVC does not pull oil out?. Not sure if anyone on here has tried that and it helped? Looks like a pretty simple job but would not want to do it if it does not help. I may pull the piece off the throttle body and look inside they said that it would have oil pooling in the intake if it is the valve cover PVC issue?
On the MPG average I will probably Not be a good representative (18.2 mpg mixed city/highway driving). The previous owner lifted the truck 3.5" and installed aftermarket oversize wheels and Nitto Grapplers. Looks real pretty though LOL It has a couple of small cosmetic items: Dash is cracked and it has some dents and scratches but I bought it as just a beater to drive to work. About 7k invested so far and everything seems to work pretty darn well. At that price I can afford to spend a few bucks on it if needed. Here are a couple of pics check out the 3.5" lift / 10x20 Mayhem 8106 Hatchets and Nitto Grappler XO's is that cool or what? 3k worth of wheels tires and lift installed about 6 months ago before I bought it.

This old Tahoe Hybrid makes me smile every time I jump in in to drive off.....................

cooling fan intake metal grate about 1/3 blocked?

That's right I chopped up the Weathertech floor liner obviously not designed for a Hybrid HO!

Battery Pack is huge takes up a lot of space under the 2nd row seat.

Isn't that a cool looking battery pack? Hard to believe it still functions like new at 9yrs old and nearly 200k miles. Great job GM

Last edited by dnt1010; 11-18-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added Hybrid battery pack pics
Old 11-19-2018, 08:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Did the valve cover replacement on my 09 Hybrid and it helped tons. My throttle body and intake was full of oil. Was only about $60 or so for cover, gasket is reusable, and its a pretty easy job. I added a catch can thing on my PVC line also, but usually only gt a bit of water out if it. 181,500 miles on mine and currently everything works. Runs on electric only a lot in town. 19.5 mpg average over last 15,000 miles. Pretty good for a full size SUV that can tow a big boat.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by lt1gmc
Did the valve cover replacement on my 09 Hybrid and it helped tons. My throttle body and intake was full of oil. Was only about $60 or so for cover, gasket is reusable, and its a pretty easy job. I added a catch can thing on my PVC line also, but usually only gt a bit of water out if it. 181,500 miles on mine and currently everything works. Runs on electric only a lot in town. 19.5 mpg average over last 15,000 miles. Pretty good for a full size SUV that can tow a big boat.
lt1gmc Thanks for replying. I am going to pull the intake off the throttle body and take a look inside the intake, the first opportunity that I get. I have remote started the Ho several times while standing at the back looking at the exhaust and I see no Blue Smoke upon start up. I think that is a good sign maybe.... fingers crossed that I find some pooled oil in the intake and the redesigned valve cover does the trick for me. I had a 2009 GMC Sierra PU with a 5.3 engine that used about a quart of oil every 500 miles. At 80,000 miles after a couple of oil consumption tests etc the dealer worked on it under the 100k powertrain warranty but I traded it right after the repairs for a new 2014 Sierra so I really do not know if the new valve cover and the deflector in the oil pan fixed it or not. Since then I have had a new 2016 / 2017 and now a 2018 Denali Ultimate but I cannot drive my 18 new truck to work due to a bad entrance road and very bad parking conditions. So I bought this awesome Hybrid Beater truck as a daily driver. So far it has been good and the technology absolutely fascinates me, plus it has a DVD player so the kids are entertained on the way to drop them at school every morning. The are really into the 3-2-1 Penguins right now LOL. I do miss having a heated steering wheel though, it is going to be a cold hard winter without it...................Hmm I wonder if I can retrofit one on there? i would think a Sierra or Silvy steering wheel might fit? A man can only suffer through so much!

Old 11-19-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by tiktok4321
First of all, let me say "THANK YOU" for quick responses. There just doesn't seem to be much activity on ANY HyHoe forum any more. Not too surprising considering their age and discontinuance. However, I think there is going to be a new breed of cheapskates who are going to start finding deals on these (I paid $10,500) and starting a new interested in the 2nd hand market.

VanZylin, I have seen those threads and they are very relevant and informative. I'm wondering if single cells can be replaced, and where to even find a new battery. The battery pack part number is obsolete and I can't find a replacement p/n. I don't need one, yet, just wanting to be prepared.
Quote> I think there is going to be a new breed of cheapskates who are going to start finding deals on these
Now wait a dang minute I resemble that remark ROFL 6k 196k miles

This old Tahoe Hybrid makes me smile every time I jump in in to drive off.....................

Old 11-27-2018, 06:39 PM

Here I got some pics for you guys to enjoy.

Look closely see the background looks like a battery module? Is there an option to display battery SOC etc info here too?

Dang it that is some black oil funk at nearly 200k. Normal?

Check out this Positive battery post at nearly 10 yrs old

Check out the Negative post at nearly 10 yrs old

Maybe a 2014 vintage battery? Not sure how to read battery data?
Drivers side valve cover was only 50 bucks at advance auto parts during their Black Friday sale so I got one and swapped it out. Old one was already the updated design (frown) so I wasted my cash on that. Old valve cover was coated with black buildup I do not think my friendly seller was completely truthful when he told me that they used strictly synthetic oil and changed it regularly (OLM sucs) but maybe it is supposed to look like that regardless at nearly 200k miles? Haha yeah right dream on I guess. New valve cover comes with gasket and new bolts with seals it is a real easy job to swap. I also bought and changed out the engine air filter. The old one had been installed out of position and air was bypassing the filter plus they left one of the screws out of the top of the air box. (Idiots at valvoline oil change) Old air filter had a valvoline stamp on it! I am not sure how long it had been in there and dirty air was getting into the intake so I went ahead and cleaned the throttle body valve. Everything looked good inside the intake no pooled oil and very little residue of any kind. Now my biggest accomplishment was repairing the drivers side rear taillight side marker bulb socket.. The bulb had been intermittent since I bought the Ho a few weeks back. I got this interesting tip about using vinegar off the internet LOL I removed the bulb and dropped the socket into white vinegar for an hour/sand papered the contacts/cleaned with electrical contact cleaner and then reinstalled the miniature bulb with some dielectric grease. Worked like a charm the vinegar cleaned the metal contact surfaces perfectly. Pay attention here Now: I had already tried contact cleaner and sanding it before and it Did Not work it WAS the vinegar soak that did the trick believe it or not! Internet can actually be useful at times,

Last edited by dnt1010; 11-27-2018 at 06:43 PM. Reason: added info