Power Assisted Steering... Gone

Old 07-07-2016, 06:58 PM
K-9 UNIT
Default Power Assisted Steering... Gone

Within a few weeks of rolling 150k on the odometer I have had my first major problem with the 08 Tahoe hybrid 😞

90°F Drove 20-30 mins. Parked truck for 10-15 mins. Started truck, put in reverse. Backed up about 10' while turning slightly. Steering "locked" (almost completely) and DIC read "Service Power Steering"

Hybrid battery cell temp avg 92°F
State of charge 56%
A/C on "max A/C" (60°, full fan, floor vent, rear vent, no recirc)
Nothing abnormal noted.
No check engine light
No codes stored

Disconnected neg battery terminal for 15 mins (3 times). No steering, no warnings.

Had to have it towed to dealership. Anyone else that has experienced this, any info on what the problem was and cost to repair?

Old 07-07-2016, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Fuse? 4wd system, EGR?

Old 07-08-2016, 08:14 AM
K-9 UNIT
Default Re: Power Assisted Steering... Gone

Originally Posted by evois
Fuse? 4wd system, EGR?
Sorry, I should have covered that...

Found 1 fuse (#7, 15A, in the hybrid fuse box). Fuse is good and getting power.

Did not, but should have checked the relay. It was not abnormally hot.

4WD is fine to my knowledge, though I did not specifically check it at the time.

Did not check the EGR

Old 07-08-2016, 11:46 AM
K-9 UNIT

Heard back from the dealership. The "steering gear in the steering column" needs to be replaced. $2000 and a week to get it done.

THIEVES!!!!

Old 07-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Really? Did they give you a print out diagnosis that it's the steering gear?

Old 07-11-2016, 08:38 AM
K-9 UNIT

Originally Posted by evois
Really? Did they give you a print out diagnosis that it's the steering gear?
No, but they better when I pick it up. I will share all the info I can get when I get the paperwork from them. I do have some concern that the dealership was biased towards this diagnosis because they mentioned having seen the same problem recently.

FWIW for diagnostic purposes, if someone searches for symptoms later on down the line:

I had noticed over the past month or two that the vehicle shut down procedure (after parked, key off and removed, exited vehicle) was taking longer than previously noticed in the life of the vehicle.

It sounded as if a something was trying to "park" or engage, perhaps like an electronically controlled piston trying to seat into a receiver
(think an electric powered rod extending into a hole)
but not getting into the receiver
(like the rod was hitting the side of the hole instead of going into it)

This would repeat for a total of 3 times, then would give up.

My best guess at this moment is that this extended shut down was the electronic power assist steering motor trying to "park", engage, or disengage the steering gear into some "vehicle off" position.

Once I go through the part with the dealership, I hope to be able to explain better what this noise was, how it would relate to the steering gear, and any actions to take once someone notices the noise. From a very basic standpoint, those actions should theoretically include 1) start saving for the cost of the repair, 2) enlist the services of some tow service such as AAA, 3) avoid causing the motor to heat up as much as possible, 4) avoid turning the wheel when not moving. Turn while moving to reduce the amount of torque on the motor.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Is the throttle body okay? I know it's not related to the steering problem but the sound after turning it off was usually a throttle body issue. They fixed mine under warranty before. The steering is an electric assist steering so it should send an error code if it's really the problem. Not guesswork.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast

I have the very same problem 09 Tahoe hybrid. I called to order the part from Chevy they wanted $1078 for the part alone and said it will be a week before the part get here. I looked around other places for the part which is the power steering assist motor. Come to find out it comes from Japan.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

i cannot find it right now but "somewhere" there is an article about the electric power steering assist motor shaft shearing off as a common problem.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you I found one for 680 on Ebay brand new.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Assisted Steering... Gone

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands