Prolonging EV Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default Prolonging EV Mode?

I know with the Prius, 5there are devces you can install to increase the amount of time the vehicle stays in the EV mode. I feel that there are times that it is premature with its transition to gas. It would seem as though there would be an increase in mileage if it held the EV mode longer.

Now I'm sure GM has done significant analysis to find the "sweet spot" for the transition, but people i know with Pruis, all add this $60 module and love it.

It would be nice to explore options such as this. Any thoughts?

Old 02-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Prolonging EV Mode?

i agree. it would be nice to keep my tahoe in electric mode longer especially in neighborhoods, parking lots etc. would also like to keep it in v4 mode longer at speed (kicks out too quickly to v8).have not heard or seen any updates or mods for our trucks though.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Chevy Man

That would be nice. I think a lot of it has to do with the weight of the truck. Even with all the gadgets in the world, this heavy truck will undoubtably need engine power more than most Hybrids.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:00 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default my yukon is in V4 more than V8

Originally Posted by cars2
i agree. it would be nice to keep my tahoe in electric mode longer especially in neighborhoods, parking lots etc. would also like to keep it in v4 mode longer at speed (kicks out too quickly to v8).have not heard or seen any updates or mods for our trucks though.
it has to do with the weight of your right shoe! I find it easy to keep mine in
V4 or even just battery mode in town....the only thing that defeats it is hills.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree, it doesn't take much pedal to start the ICE.

I just upgraded my HPTuners to add the Yukon. I hope I can find some settings to change the way EV works.

I already know that I can make it stay in V4 a bit longer.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

There one major difference between the GM 2-mode system and the Toyota HSD system that may account for the lack of "EV-Button" in the GM.

The stock Toyota Prius has a 7 second delay after starting the car before the ICE (internal combustion engine) engages to warm the engine up to operating temperature. The EV button (factory in Japan and EU, aftermarket in US) allows to you prevent the ICE from starting. It only overrides the 7-second delay allowing you to drive in EV mode for about 5 minutes, assuming you do not exceed the speed/power demand threshold to start the ICE and have enough charge in the traction battery. The EV button does not make it any easier to stay in electric, it just keeps the ICE off at start-up. This can improve mileage by saving the start-up penalty until you get up to road speeds when you have to drive out of a parking garage/neighborhood/parking lot, or the like. It can also be a lot of fun. The Prius can drive up to about 40 mph in all electric mode before starting the ICE. (If you have converted the Prius to extended range plug-in, then the EV-button becomes essential.)

The GM 2-mode starts the ICE immediately, and always runs once you get to about 30 MPH. GM 2-mode also always runs the ICE in reverse. I think most of these design choices had to do with towing - the connections between the ICE and transmission are 'stronger' to provide pulling power. So an EV-button to delay starting the ICE in a 2-mode is just not very practical based on the way the system is designed. You would only be able to use it going forward and at low speed, or else the ICE will engage anyhow.