pros,cons,Problems with new 2009 Tahoe Hybrid which I am planning to buy

Old 07-11-2009, 03:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: pros,cons,Problems with new 2009 Tahoe Hybrid which I am planning to buy

Thanks Jet, and CPMS for your clarification

Old 07-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Default Re: pros,cons,Problems with new 2009 Tahoe Hybrid which I am planning to buy

So, this is a detail we should dive deeper into. Most GM cars now have battery-drain protection. This shuts off all acc. power after 20-minutes or a door is opened. There is no reason the hybrid would kill a battery quicker than any other Tahoe in the same situation, unless this system does not work.
Normally, you can shut off the car, remove the key and everything works for 20-minutes or until the driver's door is opened. This system is bypassed in the ACC position of the ignition switch. This system is not needed in run, as long as the engine has been started (just like any other car, engine off, but in run the battery will drain). With the hybrid, we get the added benefit of the engine only running enough to keep up with the accessory load.
So, why is there a problem at all? Is it just simply user error that would be the same on any vehicle? Is it because we can become used to having the engine off while using a heavy electrical load? Is there a software issue with the rundown protection?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by fjungman
I just purchased a rear cargo carrier that mounts on the hitch instead of a roof mounted one. I think this is much more useful and doesn't hurt the aerodynamics as much.
http://www.letsgoaero.com/ProductDetail.asp?Pid=17
It arrives Friday, so I'll let you know next week how it works.

As for the spare tire, some people have installed one. Most of the hardware is there, you need to buy the kit from GM that gives you the hoist that holds it under the truck where the resonator sits right now. Also, I installed the "1st accessory" sold on this forum, which removes the resonator and gives you a nice looking dual exhaust tip. This allows the spare tire to fit into the well.

Well, I installed it on Friday and it seems great. Very good quality, went on without an issue. Blocks all rear visibility out the back glass and the camera. I will mount a second camera on the unit to fix that. I used my spare plate (the one I never put on the front) so both the rear of the Tahoe and the rear of the carrier have a plate.

I got the lightweight, long landing gear. I would not recommend the lightweight if you are going to roll it off of the car on rough dirt or have a heavy load in it. For me, on flat concrete, it works find. Hitch height on our vehicle is 23" to the middle of the opening, so we need the long gear and it is still an inch low, but an easy lift.

You can put a ton of stuff in this thing it locks.

I will let you know on gas millage, but my first anecdotal evidence shows an increase in mileage at 80mph. I usually get about 20mpg at best at 80, and I was getting 24mpg on a quick round-trip from Escondido to Banker's Hill.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fjungman
Answers in-line:

1.If for some reason the hybrid battery, or system stopped working(if you romoved the battery) can you still drive the vehciel on Gas only, or it won't start at all?
If the hybrid battery fails for some reason, the vehicle will work as a normal gas-powered Tahoe.

2. what is the life expectency for the Battery, and how much does it cost to replace it?? and is it covered by waranty for 3 years only?
There are two batteries, one normal 12V that runs a lot of the regular 12V stuff, and the 300V hybrid battery pack under the middle-row seats. The hybrid battery pack is warranted for 8-years, along with the rest of the drivetrain. In 8 years, the costs for replacing that pack will be very different than the cost today. Look for battery prices to drop a lot by then.

3.Are there any major issues with Tahoe Hybrid, that you won't recoomend buying the vehicle at this stage?I have read a lot about the Brake issue, has it been fixed in 2009 models, or still happening?
My Tahoe has been about perfect. The 12V battery died once when my AuPair left the ignition on and radio playing for 1.5hours. Ran it out of gas, twice. Had it to the dealer for the passenger door lock not unlocking with the button and there was a short in two wires under the hood that was an assembly error (probably only my car had it). Nothing that took an overnight visit.

4. since this is my fist Hybrid vehicle to own, are there any major Cons to this vehicle in particular that I should be aware of before buying it other than the additional cost?
I cannot think of anything, other than storage space when you have 8 people in it. I bought a trailer-hitch mounted cargo carrier to fix that. Otherwise, I love this truck. Drives like a car, good looking, pulls my boat like it wasn't even there. And 50% better mileage than the vehicle it replaced.
Thank you so much for this informative response!

best regards,
Eliyah

Old 07-18-2019, 06:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

10 year old thread, and the quoted material is at least partially incorrect. The most important of which is #1. The vehicle absolutely, positively will NOT function as a normal gas-powered Tahoe, nor can it be made to function as such if the hybrid battery has failed or is removed. Period. The propulsion systems are highly integrated, and they can't work completely independent of each other. To function, the hybrid battery must be installed and working.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:13 PM

just use a ice cream scooper and remove the hybrid and convert it back to a normal 6.0 l76 gas/transmission setup
it will be much lighter saving gas then a normal tahoe even bett XFE at best...

maybe even a diesel and turn it into a "DuraHoe " and just put a dirtymax badge under the hybrid badge
as your rolling coal

even with the 6.0L on gas only (M gear) only it gets 16.4MPG city which is pretty good imo considering most 2500 series 6.0s only get 10mpg city and the 5.3 barely gets 15mpg highway

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 09-06-2019 at 06:17 PM.