Rough Transition between V4 and V8

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Rough Transition between V4 and V8

Hi all. I have just under 70,000 on my 2011 Sil Hybrid. Over the last 15,000-20,000 miles she seems to have gone from being silky smooth to having a rough transition between V4 and V8 modes. The best way to describe it is like a bad lockup torque converter on a old TH 400. Under light throttle the truck seems to "slam" between V4 and V8, but in pure V8 (heavy throttle) no issues. In Manual mode it runs fine. The only other glitch was an apparent misfire about 5,000 miles ago under heavy acceleration which gave a flashing check engine light for a few seconds. I never had the code checked, but it did not reoccur and the engine did stumble for a second and then came back on strong.

Local Dealer - who hates all things hybrid including the Volt I bought from him says "The hybrids are junk and always do that" (really supporting the GM product). He is clearly wrong, but I need to prove it or drive 60 miles to another Dealer.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Why the Hell does GM allow their dealers to trash the product anyway.....

Old 08-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rough Transition between V4 and V8

"Why the Hell does GM allow their dealers to trash the product anyway....." Hey Customer Relations folks!

Read and pass along what REAL customers are saying.

Chris, I was an "original" Mr. Goodwrench. Hated that uniform. The V8 V4 bump can be noticable and once you dial in on it it doesn't feel good. I don't know if there are any "adaptive" calibrations in the system like some computerized products. You might try disconnecting the 12V battery and resetting any "temporary" learning.

Another thing might be electronic throttle control. When the engine makes the V8 V4 jump, throttle needs a quick adjustment. There may be a dirty or sticking throttle body common to ALL trucks.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cdbrow1
Hi all. I have just under 70,000 on my 2011 Sil Hybrid. Over the last 15,000-20,000 miles she seems to have gone from being silky smooth to having a rough transition between V4 and V8 modes. The best way to describe it is like a bad lockup torque converter on a old TH 400. Under light throttle the truck seems to "slam" between V4 and V8, but in pure V8 (heavy throttle) no issues. In Manual mode it runs fine. The only other glitch was an apparent misfire about 5,000 miles ago under heavy acceleration which gave a flashing check engine light for a few seconds. I never had the code checked, but it did not reoccur and the engine did stumble for a second and then came back on strong.

Local Dealer - who hates all things hybrid including the Volt I bought from him says "The hybrids are junk and always do that" (really supporting the GM product). He is clearly wrong, but I need to prove it or drive 60 miles to another Dealer.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Why the Hell does GM allow their dealers to trash the product anyway.....
We're sorry to hear that you are not getting the kind of support you're looking for from your dealership, cdbrow1. We'd be happy to check into this further with you if you would please contact us privately with more information (including your name, contact information, the name of your dealership, and the last 8 digits of your VIN).

Sarah (Assisting Erica)
GM Customer Care

Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 AM
a2t
Active Enthusiast

Sarah - did you guys abandon that Edmunds GM lock actuator thread ?! Havent heard from you in a while

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir...7.m060aaWlgz6@