San Francisco Hybrid owners, or other hilly cities.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default San Francisco Hybrid owners, or other hilly cities.

Any hybrid GM owner living in San Francisco area, or similar city, with lots of uphills and downhills?

I am trying to compare fuel consumption in such city driving, since I live in a hilly city, and I am averaging only around15 MPG in my new 2010 Tahoe.

any feedback is appreciated
Regards

Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default ... other hilly cities.

My commute to work consists of an altitude rise of over 1200 ft.....which doesn't sound like much but most of that comes in 2 city blocks. Home to office is only about 3 miles. I really haven't noticed any issues. Have you had the latest reprogramming done? I found that mine transitions much more quickly into 4v now.
I drive with the instant mileage showing all the time and try to pay attention to keeping it in 4v so my mileage is fine, however I have noticed a drop due to winter and snowy conditions.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Default Re: San Francisco Hybrid owners, or other hilly cities.

Thanks jet
yes most of my trips are short 3-5 km. And maybe that's what's killing my avg.
I do have the latest software. It goes to 4v on flat roads very often.
If I had't drove 200 km on highway, my avg would have been 17.1l/100km
something is not right for sure.
My avg is as low as regular tahoe in city driving.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:42 PM

17l /100km =13.8 mpg compare to Rating of 20 mpg
very dissapointing for sure.
The whole point of having a hybrid is to save in city driving and short trips and not on highway

Old 02-10-2010, 10:23 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default the only advise I can offer...

...when I first got mine I found that I had too really pay attention to how much throttle pressure I was using. your right foot CONTROLS your gas mileage. I was used to keeping my foot in the throttle so to speak and with the Yukon I found that if you paid attention to how you were driving you could use a lot less throttle pressure AK save gas and maintain the same speed etc. I am usually in 4v mode most of the time, I'm not impeding traffic however as I found the sweet spot that allows you to properly utilize the electromotive power to its best advantage. Mine shuttles between 4v and 4v + electric assist a lot of the time. I learned this by paying attention to the hybird mode screen in the center dash and the instant mileage screen in the speedo.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:03 AM

Jet,
I know exactly What you are saying.
I am driving it very lightly, with the needle right in the middle most of the time. I am either in Ev mode in low speeds, or v4 on flat roads.
Honestly, I cannot be more cautious than that.
Hoping to get better numbers in in warmer weather. Although the lowest it got here was 1 c. And the average temp has been 7-15. Which is not considered cold in certain places in the US and canada.
Driving it short distances is hurting the mileage i think.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:24 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default honestly...

I don't pay much attention to what I call the "vacuum" guage I don't find that as helpful as the others. I don't really even turn on the mode guage any more I just use the inst econ gauge.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:37 PM

Something is not right, Guss.
I live in San Diego. There is nothing flat here. We use it daily, running the kids around town, idling waiting for them. Bumper to bumper, some highway, mostly city. 19.1MPG. I'm on a trip to Tahoe right now, the trip up here, to 7,300ft (from sea level) and then running around over a summit, has netted 19.6MPG, and it is cold (25 F right now).
So, you have a problem. One question, if you drive lightly, will it stay in autostop for the better part of a mile (or one full km)? Just seeing if the batteries/motors/generators are all functioning. You are getting non-hybrid mileage right now...

Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 PM

Jet that's what i use. Inst economy gauge, to keep my eye on the consumption.
Fj
do you park it for a long period between trips? Or you are always on the run from one place to another ?
I usually have. A short trip after a long park time. Then I park it again for a couple of hours, then again another 10 mins. Drive. So I am not always on the go. This could be a reason!!! Temp has been 7-15 c except for a couple of days it dropped to 1c.
It goes to Ev mode once it is warmed up, and I can drive on it for some time on flat /downhill road but not on an uphill or slightly up road.
Can you guys go uphill on autostop mode?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Very slight inclines and a very light foot. Sometimes I can't get going on autostop on hills, but I would estimate 5% grade or less is ok, if no one is behind you.

Quick Reply: San Francisco Hybrid owners, or other hilly cities.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands