seeking info on wheel sizes

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default seeking info on wheel sizes

for those of you who run 20's and especially those of you who have converted from 18's to 20's what advice do you have.....mileage affects, acceleration effects, any other issues?
thanks in advance

Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Administrator
Default Re: seeking info on wheel sizes

I have 22's in my escalade. no problems in mileage, acceleration, etc.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast

i have 20's on mine, but i've been experiencing problems, like stalling out...taken to 2 different dealerships and they said it's because of the oversized tires. said the hybrid batteries weren't charging properly during regenerative braking because of the tire size.

really!

Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Stalling should set some codes. Look up the stock tires on a tire store web site and find the revs per mile km etc. Then look up what you have. A simple percent ratio of them will probably yield a few percent difference. Not enough. If however the revs per mile are very close... the rolling radius is very close. Regenerative braking only knows driveshaft speed and torque. The tires are NOT the cause.

Next is engine powered battery charge control. Even if you never had another watt of re-gen, the system should use the engine more to maintain the battery.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 04-24-2013 at 05:41 AM. Reason: information
Old 04-25-2013, 09:39 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default ...my thought as well...

It seems like of you adjust your tire size to make sure your rolling diameter is close (+ - theory) it shouldn't cause any problems except you will lose some sidewall flex due to the tire resize issue. I wonder how many folks buy a bigger wheel AND a bigger tire...instead of matching.

Last edited by jet1; 04-25-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 AM

If rolling dimensions are very close, the torque based control system can't tell the difference. Now sidewall flex, unsprung weight, and other vehicle handling may play with Stabilitrack, but most systems will never know. And as I have found out the hard way, smaller side walls IE stock 22s on Esky do NOT take Michigan pot holes well.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 04-25-2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: 22s
Old 04-25-2013, 12:50 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default lol!

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
If rolling dimensions are very close, the torque based control system can't tell the difference. Now sidewall flex, unsprung weight, and other vehicle handling may play with Stabilitrack, but most systems will never know. And as I have found out the hard way, smaller side walls IE stock 22s on Esky do NOT take Michigan pot holes well.
exactly what I want to avoid!

Old 05-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
I am actually working in Michigan now and the potholes or road humps are ok so far. my question is how to preserve the rotors and brake parts and pads from rusting?

Old 05-07-2013, 06:19 AM

Where at and for how long in Michigan?

Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Administrator

pm'd ya!

Quick Reply: seeking info on wheel sizes

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands