Service Traction Control/Service Brake System Warranty Claim?

Old 12-06-2018, 06:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Service Traction Control/Service Brake System Warranty Claim?

Hey all - My 2011 is still under the 100k mi/8 yr warranty threshold for hybrid components. Does anyone know if warranty would still cover whatever is causing my intermittent Service TC/Stabilitrak/Brake System lamp? Brakes still operate fine, no other functional issues but it is a little unsettling. Have not read codes on it, but it's happened three times in the last 4 weeks on cold days. Also have an exhaust leak or lifter tick that's popped up in that time frame as well which I truly hope is covered by warranty.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Service Traction Control/Service Brake System Warranty Claim?

There should be codes and do NOT forget the Freeze Frames associated with them!

Wiring issues from under body Serial Data wires and or connections will cause the brakes to complain about communication first.

You need to get the brake computer codes if any

Old 12-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
There should be codes and do NOT forget the Freeze Frames associated with them!

Wiring issues from under body Serial Data wires and or connections will cause the brakes to complain about communication first.

You need to get the brake computer codes if any
Thanks Hillbilly. We’ve narrowed it down to triggering at initial deceleration after being 50+ MPH. Brake warning sometimes goes away after a few minutes of normal driving though traction control/stabilitrak is still disabled. Only seems to happen when vehicle cold soaks overnight and hasn’t come back on if driving later in the day. I read codes with my OBDII bluetooth program (using OBD Fusion iPhone app) but I don’t think it’s pulling EBCM codes - no codes otherwise.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The EBCM is the "canary in the coal mine" early complainer about serial data issues.

If you can get a specific code read on it and it shows communication issues...

It may also be an ABS sensor losing signal. Those vintage vehicles are notorious for wheel bearing issues and the ABS sensors having glitches as the bearing is going early on.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had an intermittent blinking stabiltrac light that magically went away after I replaced the drivers side hub bearing this last Sunday. Jack the front wheels up check for play and give it a good spin by hand and listen for roughness in the bearing.On a 4x4 the cv axle nut and washer holds the bearing pretty tight (177 ft lbs) so you may have to loosen the axle nut a few turns to feel any play (make sure you have a torque wrench and enough **** to re-torque to 177 ft lbs LOL) but typically you can hear the roughness by turning by hand if it is going bad. From what I have read it is unusual to have a factory hub bearing last 198k miles like mine and a lot of people are reporting not even getting 100k.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses guys, when I get a chance I’ll take it in to Advance and have the ABS codes read. Hopefully it’s this simple.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:20 PM

Big S you might want to get the Advance Auto parts guys to do a load test on the 12V battery while there to. Since you mentioned it only happens when cold. A cold soaked the 12V battery that is just a bit weak could cause modules to lose communication and cause all kinds of crazy symptoms......does your 20111 model still have the factory battery?

Old 12-21-2018, 12:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Went to both Advance and Autozone today and they no longer read ABS codes. I swear they did 10 years ago or so when I had an ABS code on my Sonoma.

Anyone know of any other options outside of going to the dealer? I tried HPTuners but it’s not seeing any codes on the Yukon. I have a Kiwi 3 OBD2 dongle but haven’t had any luck probing for ABS/stabilitrak codes with any iOS apps.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:50 AM

I would probably do a few basic checks before buying an expensive scan tool that will read ABS codes or taking it to the dealer.
I have no idea what is causing your intermittent service lamp but I sure do like to guess at stuff so here goes:
Guess No 1. You or someone else has been braking VERY aggressively or possibly left the parking brake on and have driven for a while and your brake pads are simply worn down and setting off a low brake pad warning.
Guess No 2. One of the brake calipers has a partially stuck or binding brake pad.
Guess No 3. Your barely drivers age kid has been borrowing the vehicle and has been testing the 4x4 operation in deep area mud holes and funk has built up on one or all of the wheel speed sensors. (note this is the same child that will still be living in your basement at middle age harassing people on internet forums!)
Guess No 4. Same kid has been driving it like it was a rental........................ and tire rubber from spinning the wheels doing donuts has blocked one or all of the wheel speed sensors.

I got some more guesses if these do not pan out.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2435.mov (4.76 MB, 46 views)

Last edited by dnt1010; 12-22-2018 at 07:52 AM. Reason: movie did not play
Old 01-04-2019, 04:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Was able to borrow a generic code scanner today...lo and behold the only EBCM code in history was a C0267-00 “Low brake fluid”. Looked at the reservoir and it was right on the “MIN” line. Topped it off so we’ll see how it goes over the next few weeks. If it drops at all I guess it’s time to look for leaks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Traction Control/Service Brake System Warranty Claim?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands