should i buy 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 07:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default should i buy 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Hey Guys is it a good idea to buy a very High milage 2008 Tahoe Hybrid? it has 248,000miles

Old 11-03-2018, 09:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: should i buy 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

No.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: should i buy 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Honestly it is probably not a good idea for the average owner. A lot of that decision does depend upon the situation. I just bought an 09 Tahoe Hybrid with 196k miles. No way that I would ever buy a high mileage Hybrid if it was intended to be my sole means of transportation and if I did not have knowledge / time and money to repair it when something goes wrong. This one was a 2 owner vehicle the guy bought it from his father in law who had bought it new. All service records (Synthetic oil faithfully changed/Transmission service the works) It was driven long distance travel highway miles. The guy bought it from his father in law for his 17 year old kid drive. The kid drove it for about 10 months to school, he still did all proper maintenance but the kid decided to lift it 3.5" put on some 20" Mayhem wheels and some knobby Nitto Grappler tires (3k) then they had the ball joints replaced on front end (850 bones). poor kid worked at Walmart so he totally wasted his Wally world dollars. The kid also bumped into some stuff the Tahoe has some dents and scratches but still looks amazing. Drives very well for being lifted (I am running 42psi in the Nittos now, it was at 32psi when they had it and wallowed down the road) The Hybrid battery has never been changed but seems to be operating OK for now. It seems to take a charge and it runs on battery power for several minutes at speeds below 25mph. The vehicle has all the creature comforts that one would want. Sunroof/Navigation/DVD/Heated Leather/Power everything and like I say it is a looker, makes me smile to walk out in the mornings and fire it up LOL. I understand 100% that there will be issues down the road that may negate repairing it but for a vehicle that sold for 54k - 9 yrs ago to buy it now for 6k makes it totally worth the risk to me......If your 08 high mileage unit is cheap enough/is a 1 owner/has all service records/in good shape/you are a part time mechanic with a large garage/you have extra disposable income go ahead and buy it for around 2 to 3k and enjoy it. If you are like me, the technology will be very interesting to you. Worst thing that has happened to this 09 so far is the rear defogger did not work. I actually repaired that today. Oh and the batteries were dead in the DVD remote control Haha. I have noticed that the front bucket seats seem to have play in the power mechanism but the slop is in the pivot arm "rivet" so still studying how to repair that. Guarantee after looking at the setup that there are many thousands out on the road with the same issue.

This old Tahoe Hybrid makes me smile every time I jump in in to drive off.....................

Last edited by dnt1010; 11-04-2018 at 02:06 PM.