Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   Silverado/Sierra Hybrid wheels vs. Escalade Hybrid wheels (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/silverado-sierra-hybrid-wheels-vs-escalade-hybrid-wheels-23904/)

MMH06 02-18-2010 12:23 PM

Silverado/Sierra Hybrid wheels vs. Escalade Hybrid wheels

First, let me start off by saying I don't own a GMT900 Hybrid yet, but I am looking at purchasing one sometime this year. I have owned GM trucks/suvs in the past, but I currently own a Ford product hybrid suv.

My topic is regarding the wheels that are offered on the Silverado/Sierra (Si/Si) hybrids, non-hybrids, and Escalades of both versions. We all know that the Si/Si Hy come with 18 inch wheels. They are decent, but I happen to prefer the 20 inch wheels that are offered on the Si/Si non-hybrid. I happen to be in the automotive engineering business, and everyone I talk to has their own opinions. Some people think you really shouldn't put the 20 inch non-hybrid wheels on the hybrid, due to the hybrid drivetrain system and calibrations, etc. Would the dealer give me a problem with warranty issues if I took it in for service with larger wheels on it, etc... I wasn't totally on board with this, but I was beginning to think it probably was true.

Thennnnn.... I see the Escalade hybrid has the same 22 inch wheels as the non-hybrid Escalade. I'm assuming they are the same wheels, but I am not certain.

Sooo... Why can't I put on the non-hybrid 20 inch wheels or Escalade hybrid 22 in wheels on a Silverado/Sierra hybrid? Is the dealer going to give me a problem? Will my hybrid drivetrain and/or mileage suffer? Will my warranty be voided?

Feel free to share your opinions and thoughts. And if any GM Engineers would like to share their thoughts, I'd certainly welcome it.

evois 02-18-2010 01:35 PM

Re: Silverado/Sierra Hybrid wheels vs. Escalade Hybrid wheels

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. I have the oem 22's on my escalade hybrid

fjungman 02-18-2010 03:27 PM

Assuming the circumference is the same, there shouldn't be much trouble from the computers.
The mass is probably greater (but not necessarily) than the hybrid wheels, which will impact fuel economy, but style has its price. I seriously doubt the inertial mass of the wheel/tire combo is part of the hybrid drivetrain algorithms, but there is always the possibliity that is a factor in the equations (they use equations now instead of maps and tables in the PCM).

Guss 02-18-2010 09:19 PM

In Jordan, I had to sign on a paper, where I will lose my warranty on my 2010 tahoe if I change the wheels.

kklein 02-19-2010 04:08 AM

As far as wheel size and type I would not change. The Engineers at GM have looked at this well I am sure.:shade:

txav8r 02-19-2010 07:08 AM

You make a good point about the Escalade. They left all the weight and features in that vehicle due to the market it serves and pricing. They take it all out of the Tahoe/Yukon. They take half of it out of the Trucks but keep the steel hood an tailgate. ??? I don't get how it could matter if the same drivetrain is in the Escalade. But as Guss mentioned above, they are threatening with the warranty. Pickup trucks have been heavily modified since the beginning of time, so I don't see why GM would become protective of maintaining a stock product because it would reduce sales if buyers couldn't make it their own by adding this or that. On the other hand, if someone wanted to do all of these things to their vehicle, why would they buy the Hybrid version and then just give up efficiency? I guess I haven't got beyond the state of confusion I live in.