Small Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Small Forum

Just picked up my Hybrid, can't find much of an active forum to chat on.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:36 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Small Forum

Welcome Ed,

There are a handful of us here, we just don't have a lot to talk about. I guess we can't find anything wrong with our Tahoe/Yukon Hybrids! :-)

Old 10-01-2008, 06:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just out of curiosity, what do you like about it? Why did you pick the Tahoe hybrid?

I don't own one, but I admit to wondering about why people pick the cars they do.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeD
Just out of curiosity, what do you like about it? Why did you pick the Tahoe hybrid?

I don't own one, but I admit to wondering about why people pick the cars they do.
Why 4x4 SUV:
I like being able to haul the kids and all our stuff for camping, occasionally pull a trailer, haul my band equipment around, and for driving to our cabin in New Mexico. (I use the 4WD on the last mile which is a steep, rutted dirt road. I also use it on other steep mountain dirt roads and in the snow. I've been stranded enough when I didn't have 4WD, that I'll never go up there again without it.) Most of our family driving in town is in our Prius.

Why the Tahoe Hybrid:
I had a 1999 Suburban and a 2001 Impala LS. I drove the Impala daily in town for my commute. Although it got great mileage (35) on the highway, in town it got around 17-20. The Suburban sat in the driveway except for the times listed above - basically trips to Home Depot, gigs, and family vacations. I replaced both cars with the Tahoe, I get better mileage for daily driving than the Impala, and better mileage than the Suburban on the highway. I have one less car to insure and maintain. We were actually looking at a 4Runner or Sequoia, but drove the Tahoe on a lark. My wife and I really liked the ride and handling, and just the overall look and feel.

I also just like the hybrid technology, that is why I bought a Prius in 2004. I was glad that GM actually made a real hybrid with the 2-mode Tahoe. Cost was not really an issue, I intended to get a fully loaded SUV anyhow.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I guess cost would have been my big question. I can understand wanting all that a 4X4 can give you.

I think most people are glad GM got into the hybrid game with a full hybrid. Now, if they would just start building something to compete with the Prius.

Thanks for answering my question.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

I originally had a 02 Envoy. Nice vehicle but had almost 100k miles on it. Was planning on towing my Camaro, so decided to get a Yukon instead of another Envoy.

The normal Yukon's were in my price range, but with the Employee discounts the Hybrid's also came into range.

I liked the idea of not wasting gas. I didn't buy it to save gas. We all know Full Size SUV's don't. But knowing if I just putt around town will save gas, or put the pedal down for power is nice.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:22 PM
04 prius 350,000km

when you brake in Neutral does it still provide regenerative braking?

Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philmcneal

I'll check tomorrow. I would think so...

Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeD

That is a fair question.

First and foremost, I needed a vehicle with storage capacity and 4wd capability. While I live in the city, we take frequent trips to areas which absolutely require 4wd. (think 4wd only access of beach areas) I also use it for my business to load up goods I need to purchase several times a week. Plus, there is no way in heck I'm going to be driving a minivan.

For myself, this replaced an 06 Flexfuel Tahoe. I timed both purchases to save me as much money as possible. The first vehicle I purchased during a year-end GM Red Tag sale. I purchased this one during the employee appreciation sale. After comparing both invoices, I literally paid $1007 more for the 08 Hybrid! I made the decision to purchase the vehicle when I visited the dealer to have the vehicle inspected. At this point, it was going to need new rotors and pads all around, along with the tires, which will need to be replaced within the next six months. (total cost of all of this would have been upwards of $2k)

With the 06 Tahoe, I had absymal mileage with primarily true city driving. (12-13 MPG) This is *with* the Hypertech computer programming which added a full mile per gallon to my average. On highway driving and long trips, it would be 16-17 mpg. With city *only* driving, less than 12mpg. (the vehicle would be often loaded with supplies)

Also, the $2200 tax incentive, along with the decreased cost of fuel, to me, it was nearly a no-brainer. After doing the math, I figured that with my average yearly driving, I would save between $3500-$4000 in fuel costs assuming gas averages $3 a gallon over the next 3 years. (I've assumed that I would expect 19mpg, which is lower than what GM has placed on the sticker) Please note that I've purposely lowered my MPG expectations to create a worse case scenario when it deals with my fuel economy.

At present, my overall real life MPG is approx. 20.5 mpg. I've averaged 22.5 with a full load in the vehicle with primarily highway driving. My city only driving has been around 19.5mpg. (I typically drive more city than highway miles on a 2-1 ratio)

Last edited by Jake2022; 10-02-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philmcneal
I checked it this morning. Yes it does.

Quick Reply: Small Forum

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands