Small Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Small Forum

Originally Posted by MikeD
I guess cost would have been my big question. I can understand wanting all that a 4X4 can give you.

I think most people are glad GM got into the hybrid game with a full hybrid. Now, if they would just start building something to compete with the Prius.

Thanks for answering my question.
For the cost issue, I guess it truly depends on what percentage of your income you budget for automobile expenses. Attempting to compare a Prius owners budget to the typical larger SUV owner on an apples to apples comparison would not truly represent the markets each one is targeted to. Suffice it to say, Escalade owners, for example, are more affluent than Prius owners. (on an average!!!!) Please note that I'm not saying Prius owners are poor, that was not my intention. But the simple fact is that the larger SUVs are marketed to different demographics.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Enthusiast

I just traded an '07 GMC Acadia for a Tahoe Hybrid. I had problems with the Acadia (for which I got GM to compensate me) and the pricing of the Tahoe compared to getting a new Acadia just made sense. I actually went to my favorite Chevy dealer to look into the new Traverse and due to the lack of incentives that didn't make any sense when compared to the Tahoe.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

They also tried to sell me an Acadia, but the towing capacity sucked.

You are right, the incentives just made the Hybrid look too good.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:31 PM
04 prius 350,000km

did you guys score 0% financing or something?

YES IT REGENS IN NEUTRAL... YOU HEAR THAT TOYOTA??!?!!? haha ok now you have to tell me does the engine automatically shut off when you let your foot off the gas pedal? so if its like 30 mph and you let your foot off the gas pedal the engine will auto-stop correct?

what about 35 mph? some reported the engine idles at 1000 rpm above 30 mph when you let your foot off the throttle pedal, however, the fuel consuption display is 99 mpg or 0L/100km so its pre-spinning that engine with no fuel!? hmmm

Old 10-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philmcneal

YES IT REGENS IN NEUTRAL... YOU HEAR THAT TOYOTA??!?!!? haha ok now you have to tell me does the engine automatically shut off when you let your foot off the gas pedal? so if its like 30 miles per hour and you let your foot off the gas pedal the engine will auto-stop correct?

what about 35 miles per hour? some reported the engine idles at 1000 rpm above 30 miles per hour when you let your foot off the throttle pedal, however, the fuel consuption display is 99 mpg or 0L/100km so its pre-spinning that engine with no fuel!? hmmm
If I lift up on the pedal when going 30 or below. The engine will auto-stop. I'll have to try it at 35. I don't think it does.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:40 PM
04 prius 350,000km

here's the kicker , for the prius we only get that mode when we are at operating temp AND we idle with the engine on for at least 8 seconds under 8 km/h (go figure toyota!!!) but for GM as soon as the coolant/cylinder head temperature gauge is at the right number (im guessing 70 centigrade or 168F just like the prius) then the auto stop function will start working.

FOr the prius if you were in N, regen braking is disabled, however if the engine is off it will stay OFF no matter what, but if it is ON then the same rule applies

now what im interested is if the two mode has such a rule with neutral, but your test of having regen IN neutral prove some interesting results.

GM probably want to eliminate the lag associated with engine off to engine on time so having it "pre-spun" above 30 mph only make sense as some people need the instant power at passing.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

That sucks. I can be cruising @ 35. Roll up to a light. if my speed drops below 30. It will auto-stop. (Still rolling) And if the light goes green before I get there, I can accelerate under battery till 30.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:55 PM
04 prius 350,000km

well i drive the prius in a manner of pulse and glide whenever possible (because i have so many traffic lights to battle being there in line first means nothing) so my strategy is to have a good acceleration where it can increase speed but the instant gas mileage indicator doesn't' look too nasty. When I reach to a certain speed I like I coast as much as traffic permits (high psi tires help in this area espically combining with a large curb weight to allow physics to do its magic), however I must coast with the engine off!

For me the rule is either the engine is operating where mpg is not too bad and your increasing speed or its off... its that simple, leave the cruising if you know you won't stop for at least 10 mins.

What kind of weight oil does the tahoe/yukon require? 5w-20 im guessing? if so then it might be compatible with 0w-20!

i also noticed in some videos... when you accelerate between 1500 and 1700 rpm the economy gauge swings towards the middle (efficient rpm) and then starts to drift away from the green area as you climb into the higher rpms.

and if you can tell me your BEST instantaneous MPG when your cruising at 35-40 mph, obviously nothing beats coasting at infinite mpg 9999.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Enthusiast

I believe the suggested oil is 5w-30. The service department at the dealer looked at me like I was crazy when I brought it back at approx. 800 miles to have the oil changed to synthetic. I've also swapped out the air cleaner to a K&N. Both things *should* have a positive effect on my MPG as I place more miles on the vehicle.

Last edited by Jake2022; 10-04-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake2022
I believe the suggested oil is 5w-30. The service department at the dealer looked at me like I was crazy when I brought it back at approx. 800 miles to have the oil changed to synthetic. I've also swapped out the air cleaner to a K&N. Both things *should* have a positive effect on my MPG as I place more miles on the vehicle.
I'm curious to find out your results.

Originally Posted by philmcneal

YES IT REGENS IN NEUTRAL... YOU HEAR THAT TOYOTA??!?!!? haha ok now you have to tell me does the engine automatically shut off when you let your foot off the gas pedal? so if its like 30 miles per hour and you let your foot off the gas pedal the engine will auto-stop correct?

what about 35 miles per hour? some reported the engine idles at 1000 rpm above 30 miles per hour when you let your foot off the throttle pedal, however, the fuel consuption display is 99 mpg or 0L/100km so its pre-spinning that engine with no fuel!? hmmm
I got 2.9% financing + $3000 cashback + Employee Pricing. That's on top of a good trade price.

Also, I can confirm that the engine doesn't shut off over 30mph. It does show 99mpg if you let off the gas which means it's in regen mode, I think. I would be interested to know for sure if it's not using gas.

Quick Reply: Small Forum

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands