Small Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Small Forum

Originally Posted by pete7919
I'm curious to find out your results.

I got 2.9% financing + $3000 cashback + Employee Pricing. That's on top of a good trade price.

Also, I can confirm that the engine doesn't shut off over 30mph. It does show 99mpg if you let off the gas which means it's in regen mode, I think. I would be interested to know for sure if it's not using gas.
I am bummed, no one offered 2.9% for me. I did get $5000 cash back. Who did you go through??

Old 10-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
I am bummed, no one offered 2.9% for me. I did get $5000 cash back. Who did you go through??
GMAC through the dealer. 2.9% for up to 60 months. I think it changed toward the end of September. It reduced the cash back from $5K to $3k but over 48 months was more beneficial than the cash.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:52 PM
04 prius 350,000km

lol k and n... if you want power yeah... but i highly doubt their product had gas mileage in mind...I'm sure GM engineers tried hard to pick the best air filter for the efficiency job. Nothing beats stock, plus I just don't trust oiling it properly so that it doesn't go into the intake combustion chambers. Honestly if GM felt that K&N was the best for mileage wouldn't they ask permission from them just like they did with all the battery makers when they were trying to choose one for the volt instead of developing it in house?

prove me wrong

although i believe synthetics have a better chance of offering better FE if you don't tow and drive a lot of cold trips. However switching to a lower viscosity is needed to achieve the benefit.

When it says 99 mpg its not using fuel, if it can move your 5800 lbs with no engine I'm sure it can spin the engine by itself with without fuel assitance no problem. Just what annoys me is that if you wanted to coast with the engine off (like 30 miles per hour) and then you reach a small incline and the speed goes to 35-40 miles per hour then the engine fires up?!?! Sometimes you don't want to regen, you want to use that free distance to take you farther without using any gas.

Now if your foot is off the gas say 40 miles per hour and there's a small slope downwards, and your in Neutral will the meter say 99 mpg? Better yet if the speed drops down to 30 miles per hour does the engine shut off in N? If you say yes to both these answers, the Tahoe/yukon two mode could be a hypermiler's dream suv espically if you have to brake in neutral the energy will still regenerate... unlike HSD Toyota.... GRRR.

Last edited by philmcneal; 10-04-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philmcneal
Now if your foot is off the gas say 40 miles per hour and there's a small slope downwards, and your in Neutral will the meter say 99 mpg? Better yet if the speed drops down to 30 miles per hour does the engine shut off in N? If you say yes to both these answers, the Tahoe/yukon two mode could be a hypermiler's dream suv espically if you have to brake in neutral the energy will still regenerate... unlike HSD Toyota.... GRRR.
I'll have to try that today.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philmcneal

Yes to both questions.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
Yes to both questions.
Isn't that the same behavior as when it's in gear? Why would you want to do that in neutral?

I haven't looked into "hypermilers" much but I'd bet they would be the type that thumbs there nose at the concept of the Hybrid Tahoe/Yukon.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:53 PM
04 prius 350,000km

because in D tahoe/yukon owners are having problems being in the deadband mode as easy as the 04-09 priuses. Deadband means no energy to or from the battery, pure neutral state, some people are usually lazy with their foot technique so slapping it in N is an easy way to achieve that mode.

Sometimes you don't want to regenerate, sometimes you know you won't be stopping for awhile so you might as well use that free distance and coast with the engine off or 99 mpg.

for us prius owners, when we have to slow down we have to slap it back into D! at least you guys can stay in N if you know ultimately you'll stop to a red light.

When you are regenerating your losing energy through conversion, and most of that wasted energy becomes heat to the battery pack. All that motion energy ultimately comes from the gasoline engine, the battery is just there to buffer when the times the engine is inefficient such as 0 miles per hour or going down hill and you want to slow down or coast.

Thank you ED for answering my questions, at least GM did something right, now i wonder if the aspen hybrid operates in the same way.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

I assumed you always wanted to regen since the battery is almost always driving the electric motor.

And your welcomed. I am learning too, so thanks.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:52 AM
04 prius 350,000km

YOU DO want to regen when you are driving downhill for awhile, i on purposely try to drain my battery pack before I go down a hill so that the regen ability is even better, however, without a SOC (state of charge) gauge for the battery its just a tee bit harder to determine. (well easy way to know is pedal position of when the engine fires on).

If you regen too much, then what happens if you have to speed up again? You just induced a conversion loss! Like I said earlier ULTIMATELY all the power does come from the engine, regenerative energy will usually never be replenished by braking unless the energy you spent to move (from engine) is much less than your regenerative amount, which is a rarity in most cases.

I notice some members of the scangauge II community are using its built in x gauge (custom gauges if you know the car's software where it keeps its data) to show amperage and SOC of the battery!

For the Prius the efficient RPM swings between 1500-2300 rpm, I notice in some videos as you accelerate with 1700 rpm for example, the economy gauge swings to the middle (efficient rate of acceleration), so for your tahoe/yukon when does the needle start swinging towards the right? If I had to guess probably 2200 rpm it starts swinging outside the green area unless you were travelling at high speed to compensate for it like 80 mph (128km/hr). (power request is more important)

pete if i was driving the big rigg, i'd be tempted to pull 40 mpg (5.7 km/100 km) from it, even if i have to **** a few people off

Last edited by philmcneal; 10-06-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

I wish I knew what my state of charge was. It feels like the battery is never fully charged.

Quick Reply: Small Forum

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands