Software options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HPTuners

Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
HPTuners has acquired a Hybrid computer which they can read on thier bench.
They have sent me several beta's of their software to test.
It's getting close, and I hope they will have it working soon.
That will be awesome.

I sent some time ago a hybrid PCM to Bill, but they couldnt make it talk !!!!

They sent it back.

I see this time the code has been cracked.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Software options?

It's getting real close. I was able to read the whole VCM. But the file got an error.
Their head engineer is looking at it. I hope they can get it working by this weekend.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thing is we own 7 of this. From 2009 to 2011. Silverados and Tahoes.

Now Each is built in different places. Got 3 from US, 2 from Canada and 2 from Mexico.

Hope HPtuners can read them all.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What are they reading and how many of the five (5) networked controllers have they been able to get into? There are more but there are a top 5 that run most the system. If they have only gotten into the engine controller, they have a long way to go.

Keep us posted and especially Jet 1. Both of us want his "Fun Governor" ( speed limit) turned off.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 06-21-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: More controllers
Old 06-21-2012, 05:55 PM
aka soulsea

Not sure why you guys want to do a tune on a 2 mode hybrid?

I have an in person 93 octane EFI Live tune (+Autocal) done by Black Bear Performance on my non hybrid Denali, but the reason I did that is to have the transmission perform as close to that of the Hybrid's to begin with. The 6.2 transmissions' stock tunes are famous for bogging down/lagging when upshifting through the first couple of gears so heavy retuning is required to minimize the issue (cannot eliminate completely), including throttle management, shift point, shift time, and a whole bunch of stuff I forget related to reprogramming the engine and transmission.

But the Hybrid's TCM makes it operate seamlessly, and any tune related improvement to performance is likely to be at the expense of fuel efficiency ... this of course is counterintuitive to having a hybrid in the first place.

Plus I'd imagine the 2 mode to have very complex and finely balanced programming ... I'd personally be very hesitant to be the guinea hoe for something like this. A couple of wrong keystrokes and the whole system is inclined to do a self preservation shutdown in the middle of rush hour ... been there myself.

Anyhoot, I'm not criticizing it ... I'm just trying to understand the logic behind it.

Cheers!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
What are they reading and how many of the five (5) networked controllers have they been able to get into? There are more but there are a top 5 that run most the system. If they have only gotten into the engine controller, they have a long way to go.

Keep us posted and especially Jet 1. Both of us want his "Fun Governor" ( speed limit) turned off.
I am not sure much they got into it. I have yet to see my file, since there are still some errors.

Originally Posted by HyHoe
Not sure why you guys want to do a tune on a 2 mode hybrid?

I have an in person 93 octane EFI Live tune (+Autocal) done by Black Bear Performance on my non hybrid Denali, but the reason I did that is to have the transmission perform as close to that of the Hybrid's to begin with. The 6.2 transmissions' stock tunes are famous for bogging down/lagging when upshifting through the first couple of gears so heavy retuning is required to minimize the issue (cannot eliminate completely), including throttle management, shift point, shift time, and a whole bunch of stuff I forget related to reprogramming the engine and transmission.

But the Hybrid's TCM makes it operate seamlessly, and any tune related improvement to performance is likely to be at the expense of fuel efficiency ... this of course is counterintuitive to having a hybrid in the first place....
I'm not looking to do any major tuning. Even though its tempting since I did alot of tuning on my Camaro.
Like you, TM is killing my upshifts when I get on it hard. I am hoping I can fix that. I also would like to see if I can make it stay in EV mode longer and not start the ICE so quickly.

But you are right, the wrong keystroke could be a problem.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Try this link for public literature on the 2 mode system.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20090082170

Most of the things to tweak are in many of these listed patents.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 06-22-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added info
Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast

I am lest interested in tweaking the ICE and powertrain that I am in changing some of the other settings. I find the traction control and stabilitrack to be very conservative, the always on headlights are annoying. I don't think any tuner will deal with these issues - but i can dream.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 AM
aka soulsea

When you say 'the always on headlights' do you mean the DRLs?

If so you can just pull the fuse.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HyHoe
When you say 'the always on headlights' do you mean the DRLs?

If so you can just pull the fuse.
I don't believe bypassing the DRLs is that easy. It requires rewiring some circuits under the hood, but even then you loose the functionality of the auto headlamps.

It is a simple software setting which is a available to be switched off by law enforcement, although I will probably go that route eventually (I am a LEO), I find the lack of control over these feature annoying. DRLs do save a few lives - and I use them on my motorcycle - but they waste a lot of fuel for very little actual benefit. If somebody can't a Silverado coming down the road a headlamp is not going to change it by much. Full headlights costs roughly 1 MPG, DRLs are probably less, but still it is money out of my pocket.

Quick Reply: Software options?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands