Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   spare tire-rear muffler (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/spare-tire-rear-muffler-20918/)

cars2 02-02-2009 12:55 PM

TAHOE spare tire-rear muffler

want to add a spare tire. has anyone out there gotten rid of the rear muffler/resonator and added a spare setup???? non hybrid tahoes seem to have the same front muffler but use a very small resonator in the rear. where as mine has an extremely large resonator where the spare should fit.was also wondering when you delete the resonator how much louder it becomes???? lastly, after removing the resonator, i'm betting fuel mileage would gain due to reduced back pressure on the i.c.e.

nicka 02-02-2009 03:07 PM

Re: spare tire-rear muffler

I would like to do the GM Spare Kit, but I am hesitant to spend that kind of money.

According to GM the spare kit includes a new resonator and heat shield. I would think that if you completely removed it then you would set a DTC and the check engine light would come on. I am guessing that the resonator that comes with the kit is like the non Hybrid models.

Gruson 02-03-2009 02:17 PM

I also want to buy the spare tire kit but their price is way too high. <sigh>

What to do....what to do....

Funny, I paid $600 for some new 18" chrome wheels WITH tires on them (Escalade takeoffs) and they want that price for 1 spare wheel!!!!!

cars2 02-03-2009 02:42 PM

checked with my local salvage yard and they said less than $100.00 for spare,jack,tools and hanger setup for a non-hybrid. i think i am going that route and then will have muffler shop reroute the exhaust w/no resonator. if it is too loud i'll add the resonator. the only othe problem i see is that there is no hole in the rear bumper to access the winch. will probably find the location and drill out and use a plastic plug to cover it for now.

cars2 02-03-2009 02:46 PM

just some more comments- spare tire is more important to most than saving the the 20 pounds. i don't know why the changed the rear facia. i don't believe it affects aerodynamics in the rear especially that low. if the front and rear bumpers are that much better with aerodynamics why don't they put this setup on all tahoes and suburbans for better mpg.

cars2 02-14-2009 04:57 PM

pulled off the rear factory resonator/muffler earlier this week. still quiet except when you throttle excessively hard. actually sounds better to me- i can hear it. if you are interested in doing this,the resonator comes off easily with out any cutting- 1 clamp and 1 hanger. then you can listen and decide for yourself. gonna have a tail pipe added to mine to divert exhaust out from under the truck and then add my spare tire setup.

Gruson 02-14-2009 06:10 PM

Good to hear!

I took off my wheels and replaced them with chrome ones.

Do you think I could use one of the hybrid takeoffs as my spare? It is 18inches so I wonder if there is enough room for it.

Let us know because I REALLY want to add a spare to mine and no way I am shelling out $600+ for the official hybrid spare.

nicka 02-16-2009 01:05 PM

FYI,

I am pretty sure that the spare on all tahoes use a 17" rim, even if you have 18's or 20's from the factory. I would assume that it is for space saving and cost effectiveness in manufacturing, but could be wrong.

You still have to install the mounting brackets and spare hoist and cut out the hole in the rear for the access hole. If the non Hybrid models have one then I would recommend installing the shield even if you are modifying the exhaust? The rear facia access hole cover is sold separately from the spare kit and there are specific part numbers based on the color of your vehicle.

For those of you modifying the exhaust, just remember: you run the risk of voiding any warranty repair that could in any way be traced back to the exhaust system. I am not saying that you will cause a problem, just know this in case you have a warranty issue and a GM rep or technical assistance gets involved with the repair. From experience, the FIRST thing a rep or technical assistance will ask the tech or service manager is if there are ANY modifications to the vehicle. When the answer is yes then they have you by the you know what and be ready to pay or fight like hell because you can't say "I didn't know" since it is clearly stated in the manual and warranty book :cry:

Gruson 03-03-2009 09:50 AM

FYI,

More information soon.

Defender 03-04-2009 05:00 AM

Looked at an MB-GL320 Bluetec last week and MB also took out the spare tire to make room for the Bluetec tank. In the absence of a spare, they put run-flats on all 4 wheels. These run-flats go for 25,000 miles and cost about $400 each. Wow, the price we need to pay for attempts at "greening" these vehicles.

From what I was told, the 09 GL's are not selling very well because of this and you can get one for $59K (minus 1800 diesel fuel rebate). I test drove one and got 22mpg combined for 30 miles. Nice driving vehicle, tows 7500 lbs but way too expensive to consider one this year.