stalling when reversing in 4x4 hybrid against a steep uphill offroad

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default stalling when reversing in 4x4 hybrid against a steep uphill offroad

Has anyone experienced lack of power when reversing off road against a steep uphill?
Since the hybrid reverses only on electrical motors(no reverse gear), it seems some times the power is not enough to back up the vehicle in a very steep terrain.
Also when 4x4 is engaged does it affect the power specially when backing up on EC mode ?

A friend of mine's yukon stalled when backing it up in a steep uphill off road, and he had to turn around in order to go uphill forward!!

any feedback on the above is appreciated.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Default Re: stalling when reversing in 4x4 hybrid against a steep uphill offroad

4x4 will take more power than 2x4. I have a very steep, but paved, drive and I can backup with what seems like much more than enough power.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: stalling when reversing in 4x4 hybrid against a steep uphill offroad

Guss, the low rolling resistance tires may be spinning/breaking free in off-road conditions; loose gravel and dirt,etc. fjungman is right; 4WD will work better for you getting up a steep reverse grade. Even on dry pavement, 2WD will slip if you hammer it too hard.

When you say "stalled" what exactly do you mean? Did the truck back up and stop with no movement whatsoever or was it still trying to go but the tires were breaking free?

Last edited by KC135R; 11-18-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-19-2009, 01:00 AM

Thanks Fj and KC,
It happend with a freind of mine, but what I understood was it didn't have enough power to take it uphill in reverse (not that tires were breakign free), so he had to turn around, and go up the hill forward using ICE.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hmm. Do you know how steep the hill was? The 2MH Tahoe can handle pretty steep grades. That said, it's best to get a little rolling start if you can, esp. if the truck is loaded up. Starting a steep reverse ascent from a dead stop makes it more difficult.

Was your friend also in Jordan? How many Tahoe/Yukon Hybrids have been imported there?

Old 11-20-2009, 12:14 AM

KC,
Yes he is in Jordan, and they have been importing hybrids like crazy here, we have many hybrid tahoes, yukons and escelades.
The reason is that they are tax exempted, compared to regular Tahoes which payes around 85% customes.
so a hybrid in jordan is $30K cheaper than regular Tahoe.($90K regular LTZ Tahoe)

The dealer is importing his first batch 2010 Tahoes should arrive end of December. where I will be buying mine

Old 11-20-2009, 08:03 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default never heard of that but...

IF the tank was less than full of gas...and the hill was steep enough....the engine could have become fuel starved as the fuel flowed away from the pick up point due to the angle. The fuel pick up is vertical and draws from the lowest point in the tank so it could easily become fuel starved depending on the angles involved.
Was this a hybrid or just a regular vehicle? Either would shut down if the engine shut down and restart once on the level. I don't know if there is a fuel baffle cage to hold fuel sloshed at low tank levels but its a thought.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:12 AM

Jet1, I don't think he meant the engine stalled, he means the truck stopped backing up. It is pure electric backing up, so if the power needed to get up the hill + drivetrain loss exceeds the power of the electric motor * gearing, then the truck stops going. With 4wd, there is more drivetrain loss. I have a 2wd, and a 45 degree section of driveway (scary) and I can accelerate backwards from a stop going up that hill.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:30 PM

Fj,
I think that was the case as you described it.
And I think it was even a straight slope, it was on a curve which makes it
even harder on the elec motor for sure, adding To the terrain condition and 4wd.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Are we sure the ICE will not operate at all in reverse 2WD/4WD, with a trailer?

Quick Reply: stalling when reversing in 4x4 hybrid against a steep uphill offroad

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands