Stock XM to Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Stock XM to Sirius

It is possible and very easy to change your stock Tahoe GM radio/Nav from XM to Sirius by only changing the satellite "Brain box". This modification is plug and play and will change your XM to Sirius, it will display as normal on the stock display, everything else will remain the same. it display's the channel, channel name, artist and song just like stock.
I am a hardcore Sirius listener and there are subtle differences between XM and Sirius, thus I prefer Sirius. This is without a doubt one of the easiest and best modifications I have done to my Hybrid Tahoe. The satellite box sits behind the glove box and it takes like 2 minutes to unplug the XM box and plug in the Sirius box, this mod can even use the stock XM antenna although I opted for a proper Sirius antenna because it supposedly works slightly better and I had several laying around.
I bought the box from www.tss-radio.com it's Part number SIRGM2L, http://www.tss-radio.com/products/gm...onnect-sirgm2l
I made this modification about two years ago so I'm not sure if the guy still has any of the Sirius boxes. Apparently they are somewhat rare because as the story goes they were removed from hertz GM rental cars that had some sort of agreement with Sirius or something along those lines.
If you like Sirius and want to retain a fully stock appearance, you will not regret this mod, in fact I plan on removing the Sirius box from my current Hybrid Tahoe when I get a new eventually get a newer Hybrid Tahoe.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:54 AM
Administrator
Default Re: Stock XM to Sirius

what are the advantages for this mod, besides the fact that you like sirius?

Old 12-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
what are the advantages for this mod, besides the fact that you like sirius?
The main advantages to this modification are, it maintains a completely stock appearance and you retain the use of all stock radio functions like the steering wheel controls and the on screen display. This modification probably won't make sense unless you are a hardcore Sirius listener. Although XM and Sirius are supposedly the same company now, there are still subtle differences between the two.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

What about the free XM for life for us cheapskates?