Tahoe Hybrid driveline noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Tahoe Hybrid driveline noise

I'm checking to see if anyone else has this issue.

My '08 Tahoe Hybrid, w/14k miles, makes a noise that sounds like a cross between a suspension creak and a u-joint clank when it pulls away from a stop. Tech thought it was crossmember flex/pop. Now they say it is normal noise. I don't recall it on the demo I drove for a day. Everything like transmission and motor mounts, u-joints etc, has been checked, lubricated. I don't think they've sold a lot of these things, so I'm skeptical when I'm told its "normal" noise. Anyone out there have this same noise? Other than this issue, we're happy w/ the vehicle, our mileage is a consistent 22+ mixed city/commute, and high as 25+ on trip at highway speed (Yes I checked it several times). Big improvement from our '04 Suburban (which we kept). I got this at end of September '08, basically because it was the most steel I could put around my wife and kids per gallon of gasoline.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tahoe Hybrid driveline noise

How 'bout more detail on the noise?
Does it happen under pure electric drive? Is it during the electric-to-ICE transition, or is it in all situations? Does it happen in reverse? If you hold the brakes, apply throttle, and then release, at what point does the noise happen (before moving, at the beginning or as you pull away)?

Thanks! We will all try to help you.

Mine is pretty much quiet, but does make a small pop/creak at low speeds under heavy load.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast

Fjungman: Yes, it pops under pure electric drive, at low speeds. Not related to ICE transition, will occur before or after. Doesn't happen at same speed each time. You have to stop, or nearly stop, and then pull away. Sometimes one pop, sometimes two or more. Original diagnosis of frame crossmembers popping made sense to me. Does it more in warmer temperatures. Very metallic, variably loud, can be clearly heard from outside of the car. Comes from both front and rear of car. Once it pops underway, won't do it again until you stop or nearly stop. I even asked them to check the caliper bolts, no joy.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:51 AM

Seems that something is wrong. I, absolutely, do not have this noise. I would also look at free-play in the driveline. This can make a noise as it takes-up the slop. A bad U-joint is not unheard of. I guess the same thing could happen in the transmission. I have looked at cross-sections and exploded views of this transmission and I can honestly say I have no idea how it works. Because of this lack-of-understanding, I can ham-fisted-ly point to the transmission and say "maybe inside there". Really helpful, huh?

Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 AM
Enthusiast

I am having the same problem with my '09 Tahoe. When I start from a dead stop there is a metallic clicking noise from the front of the car. It is not a consistent noise in correlation to certain speeds and I have watched the monitor to see if it was a change from battery to hybrid to engine.

I have asked my husband to bring it in but I wanted to know if anyone has found out any more info on this problem. My husband seems to think this is normal but I rather not think we plunked down a chunk of change for a car which pops upon accelerating.

I am going to test next to see if I can reproduce it at certain speeds of acceleration i.e. taking a long time to get to 60mph vs 15, 30 seconds.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:01 AM

The monitor of the hybrid mode is no where near 'real time'. I would use the MPG display and your butt to figure out when it switches to all-electric and also V4 to V8 mode. It seems about a 1/2 second delay between switching modes and the dash gauge changing. The screen can be seconds and is much more variable in delay. 99MPG means all-electric mode. Anything in the 20s or higher is hybrid. Below that may be hybrid, depending on how you drive. Once you become "in tune" with the vehicle, then you will be able to tell if it is due to the mode switching.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

Can anyone share the outcome of the metalic sound clicking noise at 'from stop to accelerate' and in reverse 'slow speed to break apply'? Having the same thing on my 2008 Tahoe Hybrid (15k miles). Can't recall it being there when I first got in last year. Similarily to some of you based on my own impressions and the overal level of service at my local Chevy dealerships in NY I have ZERO faith in their answer that it is part of the normal opearation of the vehicle. Please let me know if you were able to find out what it is and whether it can be eliminated. Thanks ahead!

Last edited by smbron; 07-21-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CDeaton
I am having the same problem with my '09 Tahoe. When I start from a dead stop there is a metallic clicking noise from the front of the car. It is not a consistent noise in correlation to certain speeds and I have watched the monitor to see if it was a change from battery to hybrid to engine.

I have asked my husband to bring it in but I wanted to know if anyone has found out any more info on this problem. My husband seems to think this is normal but I rather not think we plunked down a chunk of change for a car which pops upon accelerating.

I am going to test next to see if I can reproduce it at certain speeds of acceleration i.e. taking a long time to get to 60mph vs 15, 30 seconds.

I am going to agree with your husband on this one...

I have 30000 miles on mine and I run it really hard. I pull enclosed 20 foot trailers at nearly 80 mph all the time. I start off wide open and just overall use every last bit of power it has. I have had the same hollow metallic clank since the week i bought it. And I have had it since the week the Hybrid was released.

Even as hard as I drive it I still get better gas mileage than a standard Tahoe and It seems to pull harder than my old Tahoe.

The only thing that has failed on mine is the rear passenger door lock. Not bad considering my luck...

If you do have yours check out and find out what it is drop me a post here. I just dont think it is anything to worry about.

P.S. For all you car mechainc guys and gals. It actually sounds like the normal hollow sound a brake drums hitting the studs when the wheel is off and you turn the drum back and forth..

Old 05-20-2017, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast

has anyone nailed down what is the source of this noise? sounds like throwing a big electrical switch or hitting a hardwood small box with a small hammer. more when it is warm than through the winter in Connecticut. starting to hear it going over speed-bumps. anybody?????

Vehicle: 2010 Chevy Silverado Hybrid 110,000 miles. (great truck,...so far)

Old 05-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

2010 Pick up?

Or it sounds like a potato being shot out of a tail-pipe?

There is a valve in the exhaust system...