tail light tahoe hybrid, no parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:13 AM
JCS
Enthusiast
Default tail light tahoe hybrid, no parts

Hello, I am currently in the limbo with GM with my Tahoe 2009 Hybrid. After backing up in a wall 2 months ago, I needed to replace the tail light on the passenger site. The part is discontinued according to my dealer or back-order according to GM but with no date as to when it will be available (you can just imagine how impress I am from their answer and service follow up) . The results are driving with no light on the passenger car with no plan as to how to fix it. I will seek legal advise but in the meantime, has anyone purchase no GM parts on the Internet. I was looking at some sites on Ebay yesterday and some taillight manufacturers (non GM) stipulated that they were compatible with the tahoe hybrid (specifically) but I am very sceptical. It is rarely the case with a Hybrid. Any solution who guys can suggest?

A guy with one taillight.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Don't they have the same tail light as regular Tahoe?

Old 04-23-2015, 02:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: tail light tahoe hybrid, no parts

No LEDs on Tahoe and Yukon. Denali and Esky has "normal".. How about good used ones?

Old 04-24-2015, 08:03 AM
JCS
Enthusiast

the Tail light for the Hybrid includes components to manage/recharge the ESS and the batteries (when braking) from what I was told. In the GM part list, this part stands alone.

I cannot find used ones on the web or specific Hybrid tail light via the secondary market. Some of the OEM stipulate theirs would be compatible but I am scepticle since it is not Hybrid specific. if someone out there has ordered and installed OEM tail light part succesfully on a Hybrid, I would really like to know. thx

JC

Old 04-24-2015, 07:56 PM

The hybrid uses Light Emmitting Diode LED. It just makes light when you press the brake pedal. Who said the tail lights are a part of the high voltage system? They need some serious technology education.

It has nothing to do with Re-Generative braking. The transmission charges the battery.

You may be able to use standard lights. But you have to change the whole assembly.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 04-24-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:52 AM
JCS
Enthusiast

Hi Hillbilly and thanks for your inputs. I went to the dealerships on my way to work and I have asked to schedule a call with a GM Canada this PM to clear this. As I investigate more, I am realizing that the dealers says pretty much anything since they have very few competencies in the hybrid system. More so they are not in a proactive mode to fix my problem. One thing that still makes me puzzled is why do they have a part number specific to the Hybrid and only for Hybrid. Wouldn't it be the same for instance for all tahoe with the models using LED lights ?

Old 04-27-2015, 04:24 PM

The luxury upscale 2-modes like Escalade and Denali used same as equivalent non-hybrid. They also had roof racks, power lift gate, and power running boards as options.

The lighter test weight class Tahoe for instance has LED light assemblies that are unique to the 2008 through 2013. I don't think that the non-hybrids had LEDs in that range.

The new K2 series trucks and SUVs may have LED content. I have not paid much attention to them yet.

If there is a used part guy around, maybe they will let you try and see if a standard Tahoe assembly will work. The lighter weight non luxury 2-Modes had aluminum hoods and back gates. The back gates have fixed glass.

They have the J-Leno "chin" front air dam without tow hooks.

Used Part Update: Schram Auto Parts near Pontiac Michigan looks like they may have some used Hybrid tail lights. I have bought parts from this family for 40 years.

http://www.schramauto.com/Search/WCI...&partdesc=Tail Lamp&part=166&choice=166-00312R&id=&name=

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 04-27-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:06 PM
aka soulsea

Unless it's an Escalade or Denali Hybrid you can only use the oem hybrid tail lights as a replacement part for two reasons:

1. They are the only ones with a compatible harness because they are the only ones that use a combo of filament and led bulbs (the Tahoe/Yukon tails are all filament based and the Escalade tails are all led).

2. Most importantly, even if you bought oem or aftermarket tails and cut the harnesses and wired them up correctly to make the lights function the correct way, they will not line up correctly with the Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid specific D pillar appliqués. They are a completely different shape to match up with the different rear aero package of the Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid. And before you say 'ok fair enough, I'll just buy regular appliqués to match the tails', those won't line up with the Tahoe/Yukon spoiler, and the spoiler is specific to the rear window. Basically, and I'm not kidding, you'd have to change the entire rear lift gate assembly to that of a non hybrid make non hybrid tails line up properly. Trust me I know.

Here's a pic of how any oem or aftermarket tail will line up with the appliqués:

Name:  file_zpsd60cfaf5.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  193.0 KB

In short, you've got to find oem tails.

--------------

Nice to see familiar faces, it's been too long.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:13 PM

I knew he had the answers to mods.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:53 AM
JCS
Enthusiast

Thanks for these no non-sense explanations. NO doubt I have all my answers. I have contacted the parts shops suggested and will see what course of action I should take once they answer. That being said, I find unjustified that a truck of this age has no parts to be supported. It was my first experience with GM and I am very disapointed with their product support. If I would be driving a 2001 I would understand. But having no part of this importance for a vehicle that old is poor support. That is not encouraging for those reading this and want to support the Hybrid concept. It makes you wonder if it makes sense to jump on the wagon thinking of all the pain you might encounter.

Quick Reply: tail light tahoe hybrid, no parts

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands