Testing 185k mile battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 05:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Testing 185k mile battery

Originally Posted by S Keith
On what do you base this? There are too many variables to consider and too many unknowns to make this consistent, let alone meaningful.

GM claims it will do 2 miles straight EV mode alone in the user manual
from the original user manual printed in 2007..'
another good indication for a weak battery is a poor translation from battery to engine mode. when normal pressing of the acceleration or 29mph mark..
it should be a seamless... switch over. no lag or hang time...

this happened to me on an suv i test drove nearly caused an accident as I was not expecting this to happen..
it was a 2009 4*4 with 115k miles on it.. I think the battery was damaged from sitting on the lot too long..
115k should be in good working shape..
did not buy since it would have blew the budget since the service 4x4 was on and the battery needed replacement.... they were asking 13,500 for it 14,900 total

I test drove a 2012 with 94000 miles and it ran fine it had other issues i was not interested in fixing it would have put me WAY over budget.. ( oil sensor issues ) it was 15,600 total

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 03-12-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

LOL

"Depending on the state of battery charge, the vehicle can travel up to two miles in EV mode." This is meaningless as a measure of any kind. It's even disqualified at the outset: "Depending on..." Here's that that sentence really means:

"If you manage to drive the SoC to the absolute maximum of the usable range, which is almost impossible with normal driving, and you drive like a kindly old grandmother with no surplus power consumption, you *might* get 2 miles of pure EV mode."

There are multiple other factors that can cause "poor transition" that have nothing to do with the hybrid system.

"115k should be in good shape" - based on your experience? Based on how you think things ought to be? Have you seen the data posted on this site? No one has ever posted any meaningful data that says their battery is okay at any mileage.

I just had a 2008 Prius battery fail at 55K miles. How do you explain that? According to your wisdom, it "should be in good shape."

Anyway, at this point we're just polluting an otherwise useful thread. I suggest that once you have something meaningful to bring to the table, start your own thread.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by S Keith
LOL

"Depending on the state of battery charge, the vehicle can travel up to two miles in EV mode." This is meaningless as a measure of any kind. It's even disqualified at the outset: "Depending on..." Here's that that sentence really means:

"If you manage to drive the SoC to the absolute maximum of the usable range, which is almost impossible with normal driving, and you drive like a kindly old grandmother with no surplus power consumption, you *might* get 2 miles of pure EV mode."

There are multiple other factors that can cause "poor transition" that have nothing to do with the hybrid system.

"115k should be in good shape" - based on your experience? Based on how you think things ought to be? Have you seen the data posted on this site? No one has ever posted any meaningful data that says their battery is okay at any mileage.

I just had a 2008 Prius battery fail at 55K miles. How do you explain that? According to your wisdom, it "should be in good shape."

Anyway, at this point we're just polluting an otherwise useful thread. I suggest that once you have something meaningful to bring to the table, start your own thread.

battery that went flat duh aka left un-used

it happens with lead acid batteries... that is why when you buy a new one you want it to be fresh ..

and on the 4x4 I test drove it had issues staying in auto stop while parked it had been sitting on the lot for a month.. some sucker bought it a week after..
the battery I have was replaced at some point s/n L02XK

Old 03-21-2019, 10:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My record on a flat road in slow traffic is just over 7/8 Mile EV. Barely using the pedal to go, mostly creeping.

2 miles down 3% grade with tailwind maybe

Old 04-15-2019, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast

dnt1010, I'm about to order a battery pack myself. How did everything go swapping it out? I have the sierra hybrid, so it might be a bit more difficult.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:40 AM

coop it is a very straight forward swap in the Tahoe and should be about the same in a Sierra. The pack is heavy for one person to handle (without scraping up your vehicle) 2 people recommended. I still have not made it out to the testing area to see how far it will run on EV mode, kind of lost interest since the Tahoe is driving very well without any issues right now. Gained about 1 mpg on average since the battery swap so it did make a small difference.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

The Sierra may be a bit tougher than my Yukon, as I loaded it in the back on a piece of plywood straight off the tailgate of my pickup truck tailgate and slid it right into place on the plywood. only has like I think 6 bolts or nuts, and the wiring is pretty simple as well. Just unplug the cutout plug and test the terminals before unbolting the 2 power wires. I disconnected my 12 volt battery too just for good measure, and in case the ECM needed reset to learn the new battery. (Don't know if that is needed but didn't hurt anything, other than making it hard to reset the time on the radio clock, directions are on the forum here somewhere if you have that issue)

Old 04-18-2019, 08:00 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, right now I'm getting 16.6 mpg and no codes. When I first got the truck 3 years ago I was getting 18.6. Hopefully it will continue running great. I'm 50/50 on keeping it and giving to my son when he turns 16 or selling it after I replace the battery as it should give someone more peace of mind they wont have to pay for it. The Dealership offered me $500 for it when I took it in to get it looked at.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:18 AM

$500.00 LOL yeah that sounds like a dealer. I have been checking mpg a each fill-up since hybrid battery replacement. 18.8 mpg over the last 1600 miles compared to 17.1 mpg over the previous 7000 miles with he old battery. IF the battery continues to contribute to mpg by that margin as a constant then should have battery payoff at around 200,000 miles LMFAO. Maybe when Ocasio Cortez and Bernie get in office they can do another "Cash for Clunkers" program and we can cash out of all these dinosaurs. In the meantime my ole HO makes me smile every time I stick it in her (I mean the key of course)

Old 05-10-2019, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by coop802
Thanks for the reply, right now I'm getting 16.6 mpg and no codes. When I first got the truck 3 years ago I was getting 18.6. Hopefully it will continue running great. I'm 50/50 on keeping it and giving to my son when he turns 16 or selling it after I replace the battery as it should give someone more peace of mind they wont have to pay for it. The Dealership offered me $500 for it when I took it in to get it looked at.
hitting 26-28MPG consistently on the highway here at 58MPH with CC.

city hard to say since there is too many variables... but seen upwards of 22-23 mpg
16-22mpg would be the consistency range

24MPG combined averaged over the last 2200 miles driven

I recommend Chevron or Texaco Premium fuel 91-93 octane. this will maximize MPG
I been to a few other stations and they never gave me the 91octane I paid for I can tell by it down shifting in to 3rd gear at 58mph which does not happen on chevron fuel 91 octane..

Sometimes I get that start up lag but It only seems to happen while running the A/C mostly that is a 4.5KW or 5KW a/c compressor.. (based on the wire size going to the a/c)

the total load with the A/C on is in the 6-8KW range with the fans and everything going at the same time...

this start up lag can be easily avoided by using M gear mode....
the lag it self generally happens when the auto stop gets confused anyways i always do try to synchronized my self with the green traffic lights.. since they use traffic light link here