That's not right (bucking while pulling trailer) ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: That's not right (bucking while pulling trailer) ...

This is a tight trailer. Does anyone know where you can get trailers like this for scout groups?
Originally Posted by slk2k
It's been awhile since I pulled anything (like 20 years to be exact) and the
last thing I pulled was a 1000lb boat.

Finally hooked up the Boy Scout trailer to the truck (the reason I
gave the wife as to why the Tahoe ). Once I get up to
35-40, starts to buck. If I let off the gas, the bucking diminishes.
What the heck is going on?

Trailer (pics below) is a double axle trailer and it's 15' (to the tip of
the hitch). I'd guess it's about 3500-4500lbs with all the gear in it.

The dealer hooked up a Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Proportional Brake Controller
for me and I think I've set it correctly.

I was pulling on level even ground (smooth roads) and can't understand
the bucking. The trans got to around 160 (never higher) and I stayed in
drive the whole way.

I know it's not going to pull like my little boat diod way back when, but I didn't expect this at all!

Any ideas??

Edit - It is very windy today and I was bucking on open roads. Perhaps I'll try it
in M4. It almost seems like it's slipping in and out of overdrive.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adviceman298
This is a tight trailer. Does anyone know where you can get trailers like this for scout groups?
The trailer was purchaseed about 10 years ago from the documentation I have seen. It's a standard 15ft trailer (12ft cargo and a 3ft hitch in the front). When they bought it, the scout master (and assistants) set up shelving in the trailer using angle iron and plywood and mounting the angle ironto the top and bottom of the trailer. In the front (opposite of the door in the front) is a small cupboard with 4 removable shelves, removeable stops in the front of teh shelves and a latch on the doors. Running across the front is 2 shelves for holding/storing more stuff.

I can try and grab some pics of the insde of you are interested.

I wish it had a bit of a gooseneck on it. With the Tahoe, I have it on a 8" drop and will be trying out a 9" drop to see if it solved my bucking issue.

Last edited by slk2k; 05-10-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I tow an 1800# trailer with a variety of cars on it. I have no surging or bucking problem. Are your trailer brakes dragging? Are your trailer hubs lubed? Are your trailer wheels balanced?

Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

For the 10% I took the whole rig to a truck stop and paid $6 to have it weighed. If you pull on the scales right you can get a print out of each axle on the tow vehicle and the trailer individually. I also go a few miles from home to a grain elevator and get my smaller 5X8 trailer weighed.

Then with a bathroom scale (or 2), a 4X4 and some 2X4 blocks I can measure the tongue weight of that blue Sea Ray in my photos shown behind the hybrid 2WD Escalade.

In that picture the whole rig was 12,601 lbs. I was 601 lbs over rated and it towed fine down I-75 at posted speeds. To measure the tonngue weight I have to use the 2 scales, board and blocks method.

I add up the 2 weights paying careful attention to the trailer frame being level. With the drop down draw bars I have I keep the trailers level.

Low tongue weight and a nose up attitude is way too stressful for my 275 mile trip to the boat launch in that picture.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Enthusiast

OK, that's better!!

I hauled the trailer to the next Scout event (about 10 miles away) and before I hooked up, I dropped the nose a bit (the trailer is now a bit nose down) and all the problems went away!!

You are right, I hardley knew it was back there. I tried to be good, but with rush-hour traffic, I had to stay along with the flow or get crushed. In stop and go traffic, I averaged 12.7 MPG. Kind of what I expected.

My thanks to everyone who helped!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I added load-leveling air bags to the rear springs. I put 32-35 lbs of air in when I tow and it keeps the nose at the correct level. Makes a real difference.